Planning summer small block build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Smokey says it's 1.75:1

The Ch becomes a real issue in a street truck as does deck height. The machine work is a very considerable cost tuo get it THAT high :imo: !

You must be registered for see images attach

Why is Ch such a big deal? Because the wrist pin gets into the oil control groove in some cases AND the ring pack gets bunched up in other cases NOT TO MENTION that the piston skirt becomes SO SHORT that some say it causes wobble in the bore....sooooo.... EXACTLY how far can it poke out of the bore anyways? Lol!

some.

I have been studyin on building a 1.75:1 rod ratio 400..a little. My decision was that I need another one to play with.

OR

Your cheap solution for a STREET engine is a 327 crank with spacer bearings to fit a 400.
CHEAP!

BUT you sacrifice a great deal if cubes. Who wants to destroke a 408 to a 350?

****. That would be AWESOME! and completely impractical...but it would prolly rev to 8k.

It's quite a pickle!

http://www.wallaceracing.com/cid.php

Last edited:

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Smokey says it's 1.75:1

The Ch becomes a real issue in a street truck as does deck height. The machine work is a very considerable cost tuo get it THAT high :imo: !

Why is Ch such a big deal? Because the wrist pin gets into the oil control groove in some cases AND the ring pack gets bunched up in other cases NOT TO MENTION that the piston skirt becomes SO SHORT that some say it causes wobble in the bore....sooooo.... EXACTLY how far can it poke out of the bore anyways? Lol!

some.

I have been studyin on building a 1.75:1 rod ratio 400..a little. My decision was that I need another one to play with.

OR

Your cheap solution for a STREET engine is a 327 crank with spacer bearings to fit a 400.
CHEAP!

BUT you sacrifice a great deal if cubes. Who wants to destroke a 408 to a 350?

****. That would be AWESOME! and completely impractical...but it would prolly rev to 8k.

It's quite a pickle!

http://www.wallaceracing.com/cid.php

You could just use a ‘68 and above crankshaft, they were large journal.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
Now if you use the 1968-69 large Journal crankshaft from a 302 you could make it a 420. It has a stroke of 3.875.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
save your $ on the roller rockers, you will never turn enough rpms to take advantage of them. i have used northern auto parts performance engine kits 3 times, twice on 400's with good results. $472. also keep the stock rods if it is a daily.you will get your choice of cams and flat top pistons,requiring mid grade gas. i recommend the CL1151R cam as well for a DD. also don't bother with the roller cam, you will not be in an rpm range to take advantage of it. do use the correct oil and zddp additive to keep your new cam alive. 1.6 rockers are an option but again the improvement will be hard to detect. even with your tall gears,the 400 will move out with authority because that's exactly what they were designed to do. make sure the cam you pick is making power in the lower rpm range or you will be dissapointed.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
there is no external balancing required, but you must use a balancer and flex plate for a 400.

malibuman402

Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
BB 402+.060 = 413.8CI
how about a 383. whites performance in kingston tenn. sells a kit for under a grand. comes with: 400 crank, balencer, flex plate, piston, rods, bearings and rings. use your block, bore it .030 and assemble.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I actually like White's... we've done business before, through their eBay shop.

@Iowan : dude a Cheby 302 had a 3.0" stroke...a 302 was a "350" / "327" four inch bore destroked at the factory.

VERY limited production, it's not as-if a fella can run out and BUY a three inch crank with a credit card off the shelf because nobody makes them...right?
LoL 'Merica!:patriot:
I found THIS solution from the little known VEGA/MONZA 262 Cheby V8 ....

https://www.cleggengine.com

Yeah you could put that in a 400 with spacer bearings but...i'm not sure why you would destroke a 400 to 327. Givin up TOO MANY cubes.

Obviously the 400 block has bigger main bearings...but everything else oughta be the same?

See, i've done this work already..:angels2:
There are HUNDREDS of possibilities. It's hardly worth discussion without some more input from the OP.

You could even turn it down and use OLD STYLE RODS which would yield a couple of sneaky stroker cubes, but whatever.

Stroke your destroker mother ******! It's the UBER LEET.

-"Qtf is he talkin about old style rods?"
:biggun:
Motherfuck an LS motor, that's no fun at all!
Gonna roust SOMEBODY!
(I like pokin sticks):manos:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
400s run hot - are you sure that is what you want in Az? You can get plenty of power from a 350 SBC, why even look at 400s? I would look around and talk to the people in machine shops - if you have the space, be on the lookout for a donor wreck(with the right engine, pull it, have it done basically stock and R&R it when the time comes. This will keep your down time to a few days(hopefully) and will allow you time in case there are expensive unexpected costs in the rebuild process.
You want a pulling engine that doesn't require premium, so you aren't building a hot rod motor. I would look for a late 60s or early 70s 3/4 truck engine 350 SBC and run stock parts. These engines had very little smog junk on them and ran forever.

Iowan

Loud and Proud American!
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350 crate
I actually like White's... we've done business before, through their eBay shop.

@Iowan : dude a Cheby 302 had a 3.0" stroke...a 302 was a "350" / "327" four inch bore destroked at the factory.

VERY limited production, it's not as-if a fella can run out and BUY a three inch crank with a credit card off the shelf because nobody makes them...right?
LoL 'Merica!:patriot:
I found THIS solution from the little known VEGA/MONZA 262 Cheby V8 ....

https://www.cleggengine.com

Yeah you could put that in a 400 with spacer bearings but...i'm not sure why you would destroke a 400 to 327. Givin up TOO MANY cubes.

Obviously the 400 block has bigger main bearings...but everything else oughta be the same?

See, i've done this work already..:angels2:
There are HUNDREDS of possibilities. It's hardly worth discussion without some more input from the OP.

You could even turn it down and use OLD STYLE RODS which would yield a couple of sneaky stroker cubes, but whatever.

Stroke your destroker mother ******! It's the UBER LEET.

-"Qtf is he talkin about old style rods?"
:biggun:
Motherfuck an LS motor, that's no fun at all!
Gonna roust SOMEBODY!
(I like pokin sticks):manos:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sorry I meant 307. A few companies make those. https://skipwhiteperformance.com/ca...t-3875-str-2pc-rms-4-350-3875-6000-kit_87485/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1