Pictures of my Nova and the troubles it caused me today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Today was an expensive day. Well, not so much today as repairing the damages caused by today will be expensive.

The neighbor of a friend of mine rents out storage space in her barn. I decided to rent a spot to store my Nova for the winter. My garages seem to get more use in the cold weather so one less vehicle to maneuver around is awesome.

The morning started off with a trip to Advance Auto for a new battery. I'd tried for three days to charge the one in the car, but, it wouldn't take. After swapping in the new battery, the car fired right up as if it were brand new.

The car hasn't really been driven much in the last few years. Aside from moving it from one garage to another, I think the last time the car saw any road time was back in 2007 when it was used in Dad's funeral procession. I opted to pull the car outside and let it warm up for a bit, make sure all the fluids got warmed and circulating properly.

After about ten minutes at idle, white smoke started coming from under the hood. ****. I called my neighbor over to help troubleshoot and we soon found that the radiator was near empty. Double ****. Where is my coolant? Another trip to Advance for coolant and a thermostat, just in case, and head back home.

The radiator drank that first gallon without hesitation. Got about a third of the second gallon in when it filled up. Fired up the motor again and the coolant level dropped as expected. What wasn't expected, however, was the new green puddle on the ground under the passenger side of the firewall or the puffs of white smoke coming out of the front of the car.

The heater core had let go. A quick check in the passenger floor board confirmed it. That's NOT going to be a fun repair. Quickly decided to bypass the heater core so I could get the car going to the storage barn. However, one last trip to Advance was needed for some Radiator Stop Leak.

There is a hole in one of the radiator tanks. Just a tiny ass little pin hole, but, enough to make life a little less fun. When I bring the car home in the spring, I'll either have to see if it can be patched or I'll have to replace it altogether. The new radiator, from Advance, is roughly $180. I haven't priced the heater core or the water pump yet.

Eventually, the car was patched up well enough to drive it the 15 miles or so to the storage barn. It'll stay there until we're sure that the winter weather is over with and then I'll bring the old girl back home and get her fixed up good as new again. Since I'll have to put some coin into her to get her fixed and running properly, I may look into some new springs and shocks as well. I really should drive that thing more often. I've forgotten how fun a 40 year old "Compact" car can be to drive.

Enough ranting. On with the pictars!

You must be registered for see images attach

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
There is a reason this partiuclar Nova still has the heartbeat of a 6 cylinder under the hood and it will NEVER see a V8.

Flash back to 1971, my Great Grandfather had his '55 Chevy 210 (base model of the Bel Air) stolen from out in front of his Duplex. The car was never found. He replaced that car with this one.

In 1974, he was found beaten to death inside his home. The killers were never found. Upon hearing of his murder, my father said the only thing he wanted from the estate was his grandfather's car. When my father was shipped off to Germany while in the USAF, my grandmother made him chose which car he could keep. His Grandfather's Nova or his first car, a 68 GTO. Clearly, the Nova was kept.

My mother drove this car while she was pregnant with me. Well, until the doctor bitched my father our for making her drive it. The car isn't equipped with power steering or power brakes, after all.

After my parents split, the car was retired from Daily service and has been a "collector's car" ever since.

My father always refused to swap in a V8. He wanted to keep the car as his grandfather would have remembered it.

Now that the car belongs to me, I plan to follow through with most of my father's wishes. She will never see a V8. She will never see a four speed. However, when the day comes that I can afford to send her out for a professional restoration, she will be completely rebuilt. Most likely, a touring suspension will be added.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I've always had a soft spot for those. My mom had '69 with a 4 cyl.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Man, I can't imagine putting a 4 cylinder in these cars. I only first read about 4 cylinders in this body style a few weeks a go. I've never seen one in person.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's a great looking Nova! There's too many modified cars out there, not many are bone stock anymore... it's refreshing to see one that's still original.

What's up with the single hood pin?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Man, I can't imagine putting a 4 cylinder in these cars. I only first read about 4 cylinders in this body style a few weeks a go. I've never seen one in person.

I know, it's like a 4 cyl in one of our trucks...BUT, they did put 4 cyl diesels in out trucks...In Latin America.

burbdood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10 Suburban
Engine Size
Don't modify that Nova and put a touring suspension on it!! I have a 72 Ventura II, (same body style as your Nova), and I replaced every piece of my suspension and steering in 2005. I put new front and rear springs in it, new poly-urethane bushings, ball joints, center link, etc. and it rides like ****! I was so dissapointed.

The bushings squeek even though I greased them, they bind up, they ride rough and this car just doesn't need all that crap. This summer I plan on replacing all of that stuff and going back to stock rubber bushings on it. Save yourself a headache and forget all that stuff, stick with OEM on that car. It's not like you're going to have a corner-carving machine with a I-6 anyway.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Man that car is really neat, your spot on about the 70's economy cars. I have a 76 Colt GT that is a blast to drive around, your Nova is bitchin!

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
That's a great looking Nova! There's too many modified cars out there, not many are bone stock anymore... it's refreshing to see one that's still original.

What's up with the single hood pin?

My dad had to install that hood pin because his grandfather clearly did not live in the nicest neighborhood in town and local jackasses would pop the hood and mess with the wiring.

When the time comes to restore the car, I think I'll keep that single pin as a reminder.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Wow man! Great story and definitely clean, neat Nova! Just think about the day you'll be able to pass it down to your kids. Stuff like this you hang on to forever....

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Wow man! Great story and definitely clean, neat Nova! Just think about the day you'll be able to pass it down to your kids. Stuff like this you hang on to forever....

No kids in my future, man. The Woman had all her reproductive parts removed last fall and even though she's been gutted like a fish, I still think she's a keeper. The playground is still in tact, but, some of the sewage pipes have been removed. Even still, I plan on getting snipped when I find a doctor willing to go through with it.

If anything, when the time comes for me to give up the car, it'll go to one of my cousin's kids that was real close with my dad.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
... it'll go to one of my cousin's kids that was real close with my dad.

Next best thing, dude. As long as it stays in the family with someone who will find it equally as valuable! You can't put a price tag on stuff like this...

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
why is the rad so much? Is it a bastard size or something? I bought a 3 core for a chevy truck and an 85 monte carlo for like $112. Both were from advance.

nice nova though, sad to hear about all the bad stuff, first his junk gets stole then he gets beat to death, that's terrible.

I'd like to have me one and do a v8 and 4 speed.

I would agree though don't mess with pro touring crap, if you're gonna keep the motor stock might as well keep the rest stock too.

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Hell of a story man. Cool car too

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
i've always had a sort of soft spot for inline sixes... lately, its turning into a yearning to build one of my own. i've got the original 200 Inline out of my uncles 65 Mustang in my shop working on a full rebuilt... and my laptop is perched on the hood of a 63 C10 right now, that i'm tearing down for a friend to start its restoration. directly under my keyboard rests a completely original 80,000 mi 230.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
630erik1