Parking brake release spring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shamrock Motors

Reaction score
First Name
Fitz
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hi All,

I have a 1986 Chevrolet k10 and the parking/emergency prake pedal spring no longer works. The pedal will not stay up when released and this causes the brake light to stay on. The problem is I do not know where the spring is or would be so I cant replace it. Does it attach somewhere under the dash ? Or is it under the truck somewhere on the parking brake cable ? Any help !

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
when you crank the pedal is ratchets the gear towards the firewall. there is a spring behind the one you can see. This spring operates the "pawl" that fits into the grove of the gears, when you pull the release handle it comes out of the grove and the pedal returns to original position. When you release the release handle, the hidden spring puts the "pawl" back into the first grove. If it doesn't spring back, it would allow the pedal to travel back down and engage the light on.

I have the same problem, mine will not ratchet to engage the cable, but my lights stays off luckily.

You can buy all new mechanism from LMC for 49 bucks...

You must be registered for see images attach

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Also a spring on the 1rst cable under the driver's floor

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
When the e-brake is applied the cable is tensioned and is held in position by the ratcheting mechanism actuator above the pedal.

As the cable (it splits off to both rear wheels at the adjusting bracket) is tensioned, it compresses a large spring in each rear wheel that is part of the (drum) braking system.

Those springs are what cause the cable to retract . So, when the parking brake handle is pulled, the ratchet is released and the cable is free to retract.

However, if there is excess slack in the cable, the springs and cable are unable to return the e-brake pedal to the fully released position - it just hangs down. That prevents the linkage in the e-brake actuator from extinguishing the warning light switch.

Tighten the cable at the equalizer bracket until there is no more slack in the cables. Don't over do it - you'll lock your rear brakes up.

Then, when the release handle is pulled, the pedal will snap back to the top as driven by the springs in the wheels.

Last edited:

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

who in their right mind uses a rim plus three text books under their jackstand with a 4000 lb truck above it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:jawdrop:

Shamrock Motors

Reaction score
First Name
Fitz
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks all. I beleive that the problem is at the pedal itself.

Boone, Couldn't I just replace the spring that is showing in the picture ?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The only function of that little spring is to keep the pawl tight against the gear quadrant as it rides along teeth.

It has nothing to do with returning the pedal to it's released position.

When you step down on the pedal the resistance you feel comes from the springs in the brake drums being compressed.

They stay under compression (trying to pull the cables back) until the pawl is released from the teeth on the quadrant gear.

The issue you describe is almost always due to corrosion between the parking brake cable(s) and their outer casings or excess slack in the cables.

If it is the cable, they can sometimes be freed up with lots of PBlaster (squirted between the outer casings and the actual cable) and repeatedly engaging and releasing the parking brake.

If the problem is due to slack cables, tightening the adjusting nut at the equalizer bracket will resolve it. The nut and stud are usually heavily corroded and will require lots of penetrating fluid.

Shamrock Motors

Reaction score
First Name
Fitz
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
OK, thanks again for the advice. BUT, now that I am thinking about what you said, the problem might be with the parking brake release handle. The brake works fine and is nice and tight. It is the handle that when I pull it it stays out. I will have to push it back in in order for the brake pedal to engage or stay locked. Maybe there is a spring that pull the handle back ?

Thanks

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I just went out and crawled under the dash to check my facts - sometimes you have to put your get off your lazy ssa and actually put your hands on things instead of relying on memory.

Turns out I was not exactly correct about that little spring shown in Boone's image. While it does not release the parking brakes, it also does not provide pawl to ratchet tension either. The pawl is self spring loaded - you can't see it in the picture.

That spring that is visible is the actuator rod return spring (the pull handle is at the end of the rod).

If the only problem is as described in your latest post (the pull handle and rod do not return) check and see if you even have the spring as indicated in the image below:

I bet it's missing. If it is there make sure it's attached at the end loops. If that doesn' t help try spraying the entire e-brake actuating/release mechanism with some penetrating oil folowed by some WD-40 or dry lube.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
the spring loaded pawl is what is broke on mine...it doesn't have any "spring" in it anymore

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That would be a tough repair - looks like everything is permantly fastened together. But you don't need to buy a foreign made replacement from LMC for $49.

Nalley's still has some OEM units in stock for only $34.83:

LEVER. Parking Brake Apply.

Stock Code 15549108
Manufacturer GM
Categories Brakes > Parking brake
Assemblies PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM (
)

List Price $ 47.02
Your Price $ 34.83
You Save $ 12.19 (26%)

Item no. 10 in the image below:

Link to Nalley - parking brake system parts:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=431841

Shamrock Motors

Reaction score
First Name
Fitz
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks All. The pictures are usefull because I couldn't tell where the other 'hanger' was for the spring. I could see one side but hopefully will be able to put a new spring in now that I know where it goes

Qwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7/T56
Did a SEARCH and this thread came up....THANK YOU for the information!!:cheers:

USAmericanMade

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That would be a tough repair - looks like everything is permantly fastened together. But you don't need to buy a foreign made replacement from LMC for $49.

Nalley's still has some OEM units in stock for only $34.83:

LEVER. Parking Brake Apply.

Stock Code 15549108
Manufacturer GM
Categories Brakes > Parking brake
Assemblies PARKING BRAKE SYSTEM (
)

List Price $ 47.02
Your Price $ 34.83
You Save $ 12.19 (26%)

Item no. 10 in the image below:

Link to Nalley - parking brake system parts:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=431841

Looking for #18 in this picture. Followed the link to Nalley and it says it's not available. Does anybody have one of these equalizers or know where to get one please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64