Painting 2-tone / std cab / 8ft bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Getting ready to order the paint and supplies to respray my truck. Its totally stripped to a bare shell and is going a different color.

You fellas that have already (or currently are) tackling this......how much paint and supplies did you buy? I'll need enough to do inside the cab, dash, etc. too.

Base/clear. Top half blue or black; bottom 1/3, gray. Probably rhino-liner or just epoxy seal the bed with a bed liner. PO had a 5th wheel and I dont feel like plugging 8-10 holes the size of a half dollar.

THX

Last edited:

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Base/clear? Single stage? What colors? Painting inside bed? What style 2-tone?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Getting ready to order the paint and supplies to respray my truck. Its totally stripped to a bare shell and is going a different color.

You fellas that have already (or currently are) tackling this......how much paint and supplies did you buy? I'll need enough to do inside the cab, dash, etc. too.

Base/clear. Top half blue or black; bottom 1/3, gray. Probably rhino-liner or just epoxy seal the bed with a bed liner. PO had a 5th wheel and I dont feel like plugging 8-10 holes the size of a half dollar.

THX
I have found about 9 overall paint cans my grandpa had used in the colors of my truck, white and camel, to paint it where napa had mixed it to the spec and it was acrylic stuff.
He also had gallons of clears but im unsure how much was needed or if that was only for that truck. There are a few of the cans on the shelf still sealed but i also dont know how many were white and how many were primary. he shot it with air guns and thinned with presumably the appropriate stuff but he did his own thing all the time lol

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
I know @Old77 is getting ready to paint the dually and has gotten some pointers from several on here. I think @bucket may have been one that gave suggestions on the amount of paint if I recall correctly.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Normally a gallon would be fine I'd say, but having to do everything inside and out, that may be a bit on the short side. Just a quart should do the two-tone, as long as the paint covers well and there's no excessive waste.

A lot depends on the supplier and the color though.

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I needed 1.5 gallons on my short bed, but that was white (doesn’t cover well, had a few mistakes, and wasn’t a 2-tone. So maybe 1 gallon black/blue, then a couple quarts of the bottom gray.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I needed 1.5 gallons on my short bed, but that was white (doesn’t cover well, had a few mistakes, and wasn’t a 2-tone. So maybe 1 gallon black/blue, then a couple quarts of the bottom gray.
Oh my. My gpa i know painted a 2nd bed at least so its possible all my cans are a whole truck + bed and what i have left over would possibly make sense then being i still have some.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Then a gallon of reducer to go with?

Just trying to figure out what to order before prices go up anymore.

Thanks!

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
1 gallon of paint with reducer to go with for main color. 2 quarts of each accent color with reducer. At least 1 gallon of primer. 2 quarts of sealer. What color sealer you use has a big impact on final color. At least 1 gallon of clear, watch your anticipated clear coat application temp and buy accordingly with hardener. all that being said you will prolly be close to 1k in materials.
Eric

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It all depends on what brand paint you go with. I normally buy the kit that comes with everything. This is just an example.

If you went to bare metal. You’ll need epoxy primer, and high build primer as well. Sounds like you may need to do some more research before you tackle a job like this
Its not bare metal, very little body work is needed and I have a good brand picked out. Just wondered how much material anyone else who did a similar job used.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
1 other thing I will add is to read and understand your product line. If mixed or reduced or not hardened correctly, it will be a costly " do over ". Every product line is simillar but differnt.
Eric

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I believe I can help. About halfway through a full repaint of everything.
Chassis black paint: Bought 1 gallon. 4:1 mix (IE makes 5 quarts). Used about half of it on bottom of bed, fender wells and whole frame/chassis.
Primer: Bought 2 gallons, 4:1. 2 rounds of 2-3 coats on whole truck (not inside bed yet) + misc priming here n there. None on chassis or under bed. Used exactly 1 of the gallons and 1 ounce out of the fresh can.
Base Coat dark blue stripe: 1:1 Bought 1 quart, used just over half of it.
Base Coat light blue: 1:1. Bought a gallon. It will be enough to do the exterior and inside of bed. First light blue spray today. Underside of hood, tailgate, visor and bottom/front of bed. Used 24oz of base (48oz mixed). Had probably 6oz leftover.
Clear coat: 2:1. Bought 2 gallons (makes 3). Used 1/2 gallon to date(3 qts mixed) on all the dark blue and stuff mentioned above. 3 coats except only 1 under hood.
Another rclb truck I painted single color, everything except inside of bed, used 3/4 of a gallon of base coat.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is all Tamco products.
Easily < 50% the cost of big name high end paints and supposedly same quality.
It seems real good to me!
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctonton