Options for putting the power to the ground with leaf springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
The 4.10s and truetrac are a go!! Yay me!! I'm sure its gonna wake the old feller up a bit. That being the case I'm also sure I'm gonna want/need some sort of "assistance" keeping the axle from shifting/wrapping and mitigating wheel hop. Maybe im over thinking it for 300hp but im hoping to keep it a while so maybe it will get a blower one day.
Anywho, Ive read the remarks about cheap traction bars and and homemade ******** so im trying to get advice on what works well and is doable by a shadetree like myself. I could possibly have something professionally installed at the 4x4 shop but id like to know what im asking for first,LOL

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Anti wrap bars, trac bars, whatever you wanna call it.

Ive said it before here, when you get into big tires, or big horsepower, or big tires and big horsepower on leafs, you want anti wrap bars to keep power constantly applied to the driveline.

You can go on diy4x i believe and get the tabs you need for your axle tube, and the tabs for the frame, or fab up your own ****.

Heims and DOM with weld in bungs is all you need.

I had severe axle wrap until i added these. It maintains constant tq to the tires.
You must be registered for see images attach

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I run a 4-link so I can’t personally say if they are good or bad, but the leaf spring guys around here use Cal Trac bars.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Anti wrap bars, trac bars, whatever you wanna call it.

Ive said it before here, when you get into big tires, or big horsepower, or big tires and big horsepower on leafs, you want anti wrap bars to keep power constantly applied to the driveline.

You can go on diy4x i believe and get the tabs you need for your axle tube, and the tabs for the frame, or fab up your own ****.

Heims and DOM with weld in bungs is all you need.

I had severe axle wrap until i added these. It maintains constant tq to the tires.

That is exactly what I had in my mind to do since its something I can probably handle at home. What length are you running? is there a ryme and reason to it. I know they adjust but surely have a "proper" placement.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Would the tuff country kit for 3/4 4x4's work on my c1500? they seem to just bolt onto the spring perch. Or are they crap. Thay say "light duty" in the ad so im suspect from the start.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
That is exactly what I had in my mind to do since its something I can probably handle at home. What length are you running? is there a ryme and reason to it. I know they adjust but surely have a "proper" placement.

They ideally wanna be flat, or parallel with the ground.

I can measure the length if you want later.pm

Some people do under the axle, some do over the axle, and some do a ladder bar deal where its 1 point of contact on the frame, and then you have 2 points on the axle (under, and over)

If im thinking correctly, when going forward, the pinion wraps up, so in a single point bar like my junk, itll pull on the bars when theyre over the axle, and push on the bar if they were under.

As far as which is better, or single trac bar vs ladder bar, i have no idea what is needed.

I know USUALLY the 2 point ladder bars are only used in singles rather than a pair.

Go on ORD sometime, you'll find what im talking about.

Last edited:

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
https://www.offroaddesign.com/radius-arm-traction-bar.html

I opted for the 2 singles.... i guess for more suspension travel since im offroading and such.
i really appreciate the input. After reading some lst night(till 4 am) ive decided Caltracs and QA1's are my best option. Guys are running 7's with them and someone has claimed a 1.4 60ft with them on their website.
Easy on easy off, stock "like" suspension feel for city driving, the qa1's have adjustable rebound and stiffness to help adjust for traction at the strip and then soften up for the drive home,etc. Granted thats $1000 compared to the 750 i had in mind but I think the extra twofitty will be well worth it. Ill just have to take it easy on the pedal for a little while longer...

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
here's a homemade anti wrap bar i built for my wrangler