Oil Leak Pissing Me Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
No I'm say the rear of the slip yoke at the transmission is leaking. Were the U joint attaches the shaft and slip yoke together, it is leaking at the slip yoke side. It's the weirdest thing I have ever seen.

I bet your rear trany seal is leaking onto it.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I bet your rear trany seal is leaking onto it.

Brand new tranny. I checked the seal and it is dry. I did some research, and found out there is a weep hole in the center of the yoke, it is a common thing I guess, all I have to do is take the drive shaft apart, and plug the hole with JB Weld or silicone or something like that.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Brand new tranny. I checked the seal and it is dry. I did some research, and found out there is a weep hole in the center of the yoke, it is a common thing I guess, all I have to do is take the drive shaft apart, and plug the hole with JB Weld or silicone or something like that.

I dont they had weep holes in the driveshaft.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I dont they had weep holes in the driveshaft.

I didn't say it was in the drive shaft, I said it was in the center of the yoke. From what I have read there is a small O ring inside the trans that sometimes gets out of alinement and trans fluid get into the center of the yoke, and will cause a leak that will drive you nuts trying to find it. Google "Yoke Leak" it was informative, and I guess it's a common problem, that a trans shop charges a **** ton of money to fix, and it takes about 30 minutes to fix.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I didn't say it was in the drive shaft, I said it was in the center of the yoke. From what I have read there is a small O ring inside the trans that sometimes gets out of alinement and trans fluid get into the center of the yoke, and will cause a leak that will drive you nuts trying to find it. Google "Yoke Leak" it was informative, and I guess it's a common problem, that a trans shop charges a **** ton of money to fix, and it takes about 30 minutes to fix.

I never heard of that before. Try and get us some good pics when you go to fix it. Would be a good write up to do.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
yep that is the problem. I have read that guys just put a little silicone or JB Weld on the hole, instead of removing the tail shaft.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I am wondering if closing that hole up will hurt the trans eventually?

Is this just for 2wd or for 4wd as well? I am glad to learn about this.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You may have to remove it to dry all the trans fluid off real good so it will take. I would also jamb it full of silicome till it comes out the other side so it acts more like a rubber plug all the way through it. If the trans is building up pressure somewhere it shouldn't be you might have something else going on.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You may have to remove it to dry all the trans fluid off real good so it will take. I would also jamb it full of silicome till it comes out the other side so it acts more like a rubber plug all the way through it. If the trans is building up pressure somewhere it shouldn't be you might have something else going on.
The pressure is from the yoke sliding in an out on the shaft as the suspension moves. Like one of those Jack & Jill ice cream push pops.

If he plugs that hole won't it create an extra lateral/horizontal force on the output shaft and bearings?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
OK......... I'm at my wits end with this BS, today I replaced the intake gasket, and I do believe that was my problem. When I took off the intake the end gasket (I use silicone instead of the little black rubber pieces that come in the kit) any way the silicone was coated with oil on both sides, and it pealed off the intake with no problem, or residue. One funny thing is when I put the distributor back in it slipped right back in, I said to Little Buddy that never happens that easy, he said it was because he was there and it knew better. I had to laugh. I did catch Little Buddy messing with the oil drain pan, and wiping the oil on his face, hands, and clothes. (Now he has some "working on cars clothes")

Tomorrow I'm dropping the oil pan, and replacing the high volume oil pump with a standard volume oil pump.

I do have a new oil leak, that I've never heard of. My drive shaft is leaking at the slip yoke, by the U joint, anyone know how to fix that one?

High volume oil pumps are good, but most people are not using them properly, it is not reccomended to use a high volume oil pump with a standard capity oil pan, HVP need atleast 7 quarts of oil, if you only use a 5 qt pan you can acually starve the pump of oil.

As for the Tranny leak not sure I follow you. Are you saying it is leaking around the ouput shaft seal? Or are you getting a leak thru the slip in yoke?

Seals do not generally go bad for no reason, yes they can dry out and start leaking on there own. But usually the rear case bushing is warn causing the seal to fail.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I may be off base but I think the tailshaft section shouldn't have pressure, it should be vented. But if there is some kind of air or fluid pressure building up in there something else is going on.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I may be off base but I think the tailshaft section shouldn't have pressure, it should be vented. But if there is some kind of air or fluid pressure building up in there something else is going on.

Nope you are not off base at all, there is a vent tube on the top side of the Transmission, it should have a rubber hose about a foor long, they get plugged with dirt and cause excessive case pressures. Normal leaks for these is thru the slip yoke or out the top of the dipstick tube.

Some people dont have a rubber tube on the vent which makes it alot harder to clean a plugged vent out. The rubber hose can simply be taken off and replaced or clear the blockage.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Nope you are not off base at all, there is a vent tube on the top side of the Transmission, it should have a rubber hose about a foor long, they get plugged with dirt and cause excessive case pressures. Normal leaks for these is thru the slip yoke or out the top of the dipstick tube.

Some people dont have a rubber tube on the vent which makes it alot harder to clean a plugged vent out. The rubber hose can simply be taken off and replaced or clear the blockage.

That would be a good maintenance idea, not only for the trans, but for the transfer and axles too. If you got a 15-20 year old truck, probably wouldn't hurt to put new hoses on them. I got a new project, and a cheap one to boot. :waytogo:

Anybody know off hand what the I.D. of those vent hoses are?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
That would be a good maintenance idea, not only for the trans, but for the transfer and axles too. If you got a 15-20 year old truck, probably wouldn't hurt to put new hoses on them. I got a new project, and a cheap one to boot. :waytogo:

Anybody know off hand what the I.D. of those vent hoses are?

Vacuume hose works pretty good on the Transmission, the Transfer case and Differentials are a little bigger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB