Oil Leak Pissing Me Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Hey!! Don't be throwing a wrench in my plan, John! :slap:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
But what about me??? What if I want a lowered lwb with buckets and a ratchet shifter?? I'm looking out for Shawn and his sanity :D

:lol:

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ever find your leak? I'm chasing down a similar problem. I've got a nasty oil leak only when the truck is running, from the rear of the engine. This engine I just had out. I have redone the intake gaskets 3 times. Each time I use silicone, and I clean them like I should and use brake clean too. The front intake bead has not late at all. But it seems like the rear leaks every time. The surface on the block in the intake is fine. I don't think it's the oil pressure sending unit plumbing because its leaking on the other side of the bell housing, the passenger side, my sending unit is on the drivers side. I did notice today using a mirror that there is oil seepage from the distributor even though I have put a new gasket in there. This is pissing me off too

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lol wait till your transfer case front seal leaks.... that makes a big mess!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ever find your leak? I'm chasing down a similar problem. I've got a nasty oil leak only when the truck is running, from the rear of the engine. This engine I just had out. I have redone the intake gaskets 3 times. Each time I use silicone, and I clean them like I should and use brake clean too. The front intake bead has not late at all. But it seems like the rear leaks every time. The surface on the block in the intake is fine. I don't think it's the oil pressure sending unit plumbing because its leaking on the other side of the bell housing, the passenger side, my sending unit is on the drivers side. I did notice today using a mirror that there is oil seepage from the distributor even though I have put a new gasket in there. This is pissing me off too

I can almost guarantee you its the oil sending unit. I have had this same issue before and could not figure it out. I looked and looked and could not see anything coming from the sensor but at the end of the day that's where it was coming from. just a dribble right down the back so you couldn't see it. I initially thought it was the rear main, then the intake but it was because I had tightened down the oil sending unit with a wrench on the body instead of at the base of it and it would leak right where the body is crimped to the base.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Na...oil sending unit is on the wrong Side of the motor.

Got under it last night about midnight and wiped it all down clean, drove it, back under it with light, and right as i was about to give up-nice trickle from the corner of the valve cover. Gotcha bitch

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Got under it last night about midnight and wiped it all down clean, drove it, back under it with light, and right as i was about to give up-nice trickle from the corner of the valve cover. Gotcha bitch

Do NOT use any sealing products at all. Ensure your valve covers are flat and clean. Use LOTS of acteone to clean the surfaces. Then use some emory cloth to rough them up a bit and then clean again with acetone.

Do the same to the surfaces of the heads and repeat till the acetone is clean. Then go out and pick up some felpro blue valve cover gaskets and seal them up good.

If you have perimeter bolts then get some spread bars and t-handles and since them up nicely.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454

Nice!! And in a spot that is easy to fix too :waytogo:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

Finally! Holy, that must s pissed you right off by now!

The blue Felpro rubberish perma seal gaskets work awesome! If it leaks you just give it a nice cinch and voila! no more leaky :) And you can take the covers off and on like a dozen times with no issues using the same gaskets.

Or just do what I did last time and just plenty of RTV on both sides of the cork. Only down fall is my motor is rusting now cause there's no oil to keep it nice and fresh looking lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andy-14