No filter, making a setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So i discovered my truck has no actual fuel filter. No wonder why the carb was so damn dirty when i rebuilt it
Has the one in the carb, but its just a mesh one so i assume it doesnt filter much of the actual fuel itself.
I want to filter the fuel really well. So, i was thinking of having a coarse filter mounted to the frame or somehow, depending on the filter i get, in between the tank and fuel pump. Then, would it be a sensible idea to have a much finer filter in between the pump and the carb?

Any suggestions on what filters to use?
Thanks!

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I have often thought of running the diesel fuel filter that mounts to the firewall. My only concern with that idea is whether or not the filter media is suited for gasoline or not?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I have often thought of running the diesel fuel filter that mounts to the firewall. My only concern with that idea is whether or not the filter media is suited for gasoline or not?

There are marine applications rated for gasoline that use a screw on filter about the size of our oil filters. I have one on my boat. Seems to be overkill tho.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Don't put a filter on the suction side of the pump. Just put a metal can in-line fuel filter in the supply to the carb. That's all you need.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Don't put a filter on the suction side of the pump. Just put a metal can in-line fuel filter in the supply to the carb. That's all you need.

Any recommendations? I need to plumb mine from mechanical pump to Holley single inlet carb. Would like to bend a hard line, so a filter that has IF fittings would be nice. I've never been sure how fine the filtration should be (in microns). ???

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I chopped the hard line to the carb did two crude bubble flares and used some rubber hose and a metal canister filter and clamped it on.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You must be registered for see images attach

I had planned on using an actual -6AN fitting to connect to the filter. Well actually it is but the 2 piece fitting design stripped so I just have a C clamp on it for now. One of these days I will get a proper looking flex line made up or maybe a solid metal line.

Any ways the way I plumbed it spits the line out and away from the block to try and keep it cool. I could have put the filter up by the carb but I don't have room with the pressure regulator there. And it makes less of a mess down by the pump when I have to open it.

Last edited:

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc

I had planned on using an actual -6AN fitting to connect to the filter. Well actually it is but the 2 piece fitting design stripped so I just have a C clamp on it for now. One of these days I will get a proper looking flex line made up or maybe a solid metal line.

Lol? Eww! You'll NEVER pass tech like that!
This was uexpected. 12 nches of rubber line is ALL YOU GET or you'll never run that pile down the strip. 12 inches in the entire vehicle!
Replacement q-jet lines are easy to find AND cheap. A fuel pressure gauge or regulator will easy make up distance or fill space. It's not hard.

Take it from a guy that has experienced an engine fire, fuel line is a REALLY BAD place to try and save a few bucks

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Lol? Eww! You'll NEVER pass tech like that!
This was uexpected. 12 nches of rubber line is ALL YOU GET or you'll never run that pile down the strip. 12 inches in the entire vehicle!
Replacement q-jet lines are easy to find AND cheap. A fuel pressure gauge or regulator will easy make up distance or fill space. It's not hard.

Take it from a guy that has experienced an engine fire, fuel line is a REALLY BAD place to try and save a few bucks

Do I look like Im concerned with 1/4 mile rules ? LMAO MY K20 running the strip? Now there's a laugh and a half LOL

FYI that is high pressure reinforced and braided fuel line. And like I said it wouldn't take much to bend up a metal line in place of the rubber line in the pics.

The point of the pics was to show the location of the fuel filter :whymewhyme:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus