Newbie needs help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philipf9

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello all. I am a newbie at repairs and can do them once I know but diagnosing, I have no clue. Here’s the problem. I have a 79 K10 with 350 in it. Drove for about 2 miles and it was fine. Got to go back home and while driving it began to act all funny. There’s a noise coming from the valve cover area, engine runs as if it’s missing and backfire (just off). It came out of the blue.
I also noticed that underneath it is coated with oil on underside of cab, engine and such. I am sure it needs gaskets elsewhere but I am unsure what would’ve broke. The noise in valves made me check the oil. Dipstick read full which I though was off because the engine was hot. To me, normally low oil won’t make it sound as if the timing is off. It’s as if either I got two separate issue that magically occurred at same exact time or one problem that caused both poor running and noise. I don’t know.

Please help!

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Have you checked to make sure all of your plug wires are still on correctly? I had one pop off the spark plug end once.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Check what Kevin said first because that’s easier, but I’d pull the valve cover you think the noise is coming from and see how everything’s moving to make sure it’s not a loose rocker, stuck valve, etc. If you suspect a timing issue, it could be a problem with the timing set. You’d need to watch your timing mark with a light both at idle and while bumping the throttle, advance disconnected. Besides a cylinder losing compression, these are your worst case scenarios. More than likely it’s something quick and simple to resolve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewabird