Newbie from central Iowa

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beaver83

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.6L
Hello, new to the forum and will be needing some help in the near future. I have acquired a '75 k20. This was left to me when my father passed. He and I always talked about restoring "Old Red" as we call her. She had a sbc350 but I have acquired a sbc400 that will be going back into her when the time comes. I have many ideas and thoughts on my end result but am having problems getting off the ground. I have started the project just months ago. I have stripped the truck to just the frame and have been taking apart the frame to inspect all the cross members and so forth. As a result, I am having problems finding the cab/frame mounts for a '73-'80. I see that '81-'87 are listed as different......why? Also I thought that I read somewhere the '81-'87 will fit but put the cab at a different height..? Also having problems finding replacement cross members..? To anyone that can help I am gratefully appreciative.

1ATony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Thanks for joining

Tony

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Hello, new to the forum and will be needing some help in the near future. I have acquired a '75 k20. This was left to me when my father passed. He and I always talked about restoring "Old Red" as we call her. She had a sbc350 but I have acquired a sbc400 that will be going back into her when the time comes. I have many ideas and thoughts on my end result but am having problems getting off the ground. I have started the project just months ago. I have stripped the truck to just the frame and have been taking apart the frame to inspect all the cross members and so forth. As a result, I am having problems finding the cab/frame mounts for a '73-'80. I see that '81-'87 are listed as different......why? Also I thought that I read somewhere the '81-'87 will fit but put the cab at a different height..? Also having problems finding replacement cross members..? To anyone that can help I am gratefully appreciative.
Contrarily, I've heard not to interchange the later cab mounts on the earlier trucks and vice versa. Are you talking about new or used mounts? LMC Truck has them new. Not cheap but available nevertheless. I don't know why, and I don't know what the affect or repercussion would be, but I wouldn't try it.

daddydan

Reaction score
First Name
danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
daddydan hiram ga.

I,m a newbie to the site, been looking for a while. Just bought a 1982 silverado. Just retired so I have plenty of time to work on my truck. Already reworked the brakes, lowered 3.5/ 5, true duals, relocated front swaybar mounts. I've spent many years raising trucks and this is my first to lower.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello