new truck need help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ireland87

Reaction score
First Name
jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10/v10
Engine Size
305 sbc
i just bought a 1987 k10 or v10 short bed fleetside as my new project truck. was looking at the suspension and saw that the rear was sitting on 3/1 leaf springs with a 3 inch lift block but the front suspension is completely stock and truck is sitting at stock ride height. i am wanting to do either a 4 inch or a 6 inch suspension lift on the truck but the rear leaf spring is causing a headache. i think if i got rid of the 3 inch block and got a lets say 5/1 or 6/1 rear leaf spring the truck would still sit at stock ride height instead of having the 3/1 which i think would make it sit lower than the 5/1. am i correct on my thinking? if im correct then i buy a 4inch rough county lift it would it only sit an inch higher since it has a 3inch block with smaller leafs.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Are you looking at buying new oem springs or are you going to lift it immediately? If you're buying springs, I would just get the 4" lift springs. My '79 K15 short bed had the 6/1 set up.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
The number of leaves in a leaf pack doesn't necessarily mean a difference in ride height. Ride height is dependent on spring rate and the spring arch. Higher spring rate means it takes more weight to compress the springs the same amount thus leading to a taller ride height, but will be left with a stiffer ride. Increase the spring arch will increase the spring rate a little, but it mainly decreases the sag in the spring pack.

If the 5/1 or 6/1 has leaves with the same thickness as your current leaf pack, you will have a slight increase in height, but will mainly be running a much stiffer suspension.

If you remove the current spring packs and blocks and add a 4" spring lift kit, then yes, you will only increase the rear height by 1".

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
The number of leaves in a leaf pack doesn't necessarily mean a difference in ride height. Ride height is dependent on spring rate and the spring arch. Higher spring rate means it takes more weight to compress the springs the same amount thus leading to a taller ride height, but will be left with a stiffer ride. Increase the spring arch will increase the spring rate a little, but it mainly decreases the sag in the spring pack.

If the 5/1 or 6/1 has leaves with the same thickness as your current leaf pack, you will have a slight increase in height, but will mainly be running a much stiffer suspension.

If you remove the current spring packs and blocks and add a 4" spring lift kit, then yes, you will only increase the rear height by 1".

Do you think a PO took some leaves out? Possibly the factory over load which create most of the arch. I've never seen that few. The minimum Truck Spring lists is a 4/1.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Do you think a PO took some leaves out? Possibly the factory over load which create most of the arch. I've never seen that few. The minimum Truck Spring lists is a 4/1.

Possible the PO removed a leaf or two to soften up the ride or allow for more flexing.. Maybe he also swapped the leaf pack out with one from a light duty truck? Did any of the C10's ever come with the 3/1 pack? What about suburbans or k5's?

Ireland87

Reaction score
First Name
jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10/v10
Engine Size
305 sbc
I had a 81 c10 stepside and it came with 3/1 springs. And this k10 has the same springs which I wouldn’t think is correct. Im just confused on why the truck is sitting at stock height when the front suspension is stock and the rear has a 3inch block.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Here is a picture of my 78 c10 big ten factory leaves. Granted its not an 87 but itll give you a reference

You must be registered for see images attach

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I had a 81 c10 stepside and it came with 3/1 springs. And this k10 has the same springs which I wouldn’t think is correct. Im just confused on why the truck is sitting at stock height when the front suspension is stock and the rear has a 3inch block.

Are you sure its sitting at stock height and doesn't actually have a set of lift springs in the front? Do the front springs have a negative(downwards)/flat or positive(upwards) arch to them? If its a positive arch, then you have a lifted front end. Negative would be stock springs.

My assumption is that the previous owner swapped the rear springs, or removed a leaf to soften up the rear end, but then installed the block to help retain height.

Pictures greatly help as well.

Ireland87

Reaction score
First Name
jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10/v10
Engine Size
305 sbc
the front springs are slightly downward. so they should be stock correct?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
the front springs are slightly downward. so they should be stock correct?
Sounds like they are.

Got a picture of the rear end? How thick are the rear leaves?

Ireland87

Reaction score
First Name
jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10/v10
Engine Size
305 sbc
no i dont have a pic at the moment. i can get one tomorrow tho. i dont think they are that thick but ill check tomorrow

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
no i dont have a pic at the moment. i can get one tomorrow tho. i dont think they are that thick but ill check tomorrow
No worries.

Thickness of the leaves allow us to compare whether your current pack is the same as a factory pack with leaves removed, or if its a different pack entirely for a lighter duty truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terminator