New to me 87

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Picked up a 87 4x4. PW/PDL. Few quirks to work out in it but overall its a pretty decent play toy.

The good...it starts and drives. Power windows and locks work. Truck started life as a 305, but is now a 350 TBI/TH400. The valve covers are center bolt, not perimeter bolted. All dash and interior lights work including 4x4 shifter, after I dove in and replaced all of them. Nice set of big face Summit guages for temp, oil pressure, and voltage that work. Had it a couple of months and have driven it on and off, and it drives really good, almost as good as my 07 Sierra does on the interstate and around town.

The bad...I replaced the cts, thought it was bad. Truck doesn't want to take off at all with it plugged in. Still the same and I'm on the second one. It falls on its face then it picks itself up eventually and takes off like a bat outta...I took off the tips and bench tested it and it tested bad, however when its on the truck it tests fine. Pretty sure that's where the prob lies. That or the EGR.

Heater fan doesn't move. Even with a direct wire to the battery. Can't remember if I ran a ground to it too or not. I did run positive directly to it and it didn't do a thing. That was awhile ago, and it was still warm out, but its starting to get colder and no heat equals driving something else.

This thing doesn't run warm at all. Takes forever to get to 180-195. Either thermostat is stuck, or missing. Something else that is priority for winter driving.

Trans leaks. I do have a filter kit but have just topped it off before I drove it until this point. Figured almost all the fluid is near new in it now except for the convert or, so its time to drop the pan change the filter and refill.

Gas guage is full at a half, half at a quarter, and empty at a eighth. That's what's on the visor at least. I just fill it when I drive it. It does read half when I top it off.

I lost the keys...have to replace the door lock and ignition lock cylinders. It has a aftermarket grant steering wheel so I don't know what the ignition lock job is gonna take.

She's painted up John Deere green and yellow, with a big logo on the hood and "come ride my Deere" and a bottle opener on the tailgate. Its lifted, pretty tall and setting on Maxxis Mudderrs, 35x12.50s. Roll bar in the bed. To top it off, it has a ooooga horn. Very fitting...lol. Speedo is off, way off, I have a Garmin and just use it. When the truck says 55, Garmin says 70. No big deal thought. Speedo gear can be changed out eventually.

Truck is a work in progress, I have sorted thru and fixed some hacked up wiring, replaced the stop light switch, changed the oil, etc. Its not a DD, so I work on it as time allows. Any ideas, info, or insight on the above problems is much appreciated. I can turn wrenches, and have most of anything I could need, so I can tackle most of anything in my garage. Or in this case driveway, its too tall to get in the garage, even flattening the tires.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Picked up a 87 4x4. PW/PDL. Few quirks to work out in it but overall its a pretty decent play toy.

The good...it starts and drives. Power windows and locks work. Truck started life as a 305, but is now a 350 TBI/TH400. The valve covers are center bolt, not perimeter bolted. All dash and interior lights work including 4x4 shifter, after I dove in and replaced all of them. Nice set of big face Summit guages for temp, oil pressure, and voltage that work. Had it a couple of months and have driven it on and off, and it drives really good, almost as good as my 07 Sierra does on the interstate and around town.

The bad...I replaced the cts, thought it was bad. Truck doesn't want to take off at all with it plugged in. Still the same and I'm on the second one. It falls on its face then it picks itself up eventually and takes off like a bat outta...I took off the tips and bench tested it and it tested bad, however when its on the truck it tests fine. Pretty sure that's where the prob lies. That or the EGR.

Heater fan doesn't move. Even with a direct wire to the battery. Can't remember if I ran a ground to it too or not. I did run positive directly to it and it didn't do a thing. That was awhile ago, and it was still warm out, but its starting to get colder and no heat equals driving something else.

This thing doesn't run warm at all. Takes forever to get to 180-195. Either thermostat is stuck, or missing. Something else that is priority for winter driving.

Trans leaks. I do have a filter kit but have just topped it off before I drove it until this point. Figured almost all the fluid is near new in it now except for the convert or, so its time to drop the pan change the filter and refill.

Gas guage is full at a half, half at a quarter, and empty at a eighth. That's what's on the visor at least. I just fill it when I drive it. It does read half when I top it off.

I lost the keys...have to replace the door lock and ignition lock cylinders. It has a aftermarket grant steering wheel so I don't know what the ignition lock job is gonna take.

She's painted up John Deere green and yellow, with a big logo on the hood and "come ride my Deere" and a bottle opener on the tailgate. Its lifted, pretty tall and setting on Maxxis Mudderrs, 35x12.50s. Roll bar in the bed. To top it off, it has a ooooga horn. Very fitting...lol. Speedo is off, way off, I have a Garmin and just use it. When the truck says 55, Garmin says 70. No big deal thought. Speedo gear can be changed out eventually.

Truck is a work in progress, I have sorted thru and fixed some hacked up wiring, replaced the stop light switch, changed the oil, etc. Its not a DD, so I work on it as time allows. Any ideas, info, or insight on the above problems is much appreciated. I can turn wrenches, and have most of anything I could need, so I can tackle most of anything in my garage. Or in this case driveway, its too tall to get in the garage, even flattening the tires.

When you swapped in the 350, did you install 350 injectors and chip? Also, probe the gray wire on the TPS plug with the key on, and makemsure you are getting 5 volts.

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10
Engine Size
350 TBI
I didn't do the swap. I acquired it like it is.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I didn't do the swap. I acquired it like it is.

When you get a chance, pull the computer out, and take the access cover off, and let me know what the 4 letter code is on the larger of the 2 chips inside, and look at the tops of the injectors to see if there is a number on them....you may need to clean them with a Q tip.

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Here's some pics

Attachments

• IMAG0398.jpg
    IMAG0398.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMAG0399.jpg
    IMAG0399.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMAG0401.jpg
    IMAG0401.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMAG0400.jpg
    IMAG0400.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMAG0388.jpg
    IMAG0388.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 115
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10
Engine Size
350 TBI
When you get a chance, pull the computer out, and take the access cover off, and let me know what the 4 letter code is on the larger of the 2 chips inside, and look at the tops of the injectors to see if there is a number on them....you may need to clean them with a Q tip.

Will do. It will be Wednesday more than likely before I can get to it.

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10
Engine Size
350 TBI

Computer is behind the glove box correct? Just want to be sure of where its located because I don't have the truck at my house currently. Where its at there is no internet nor very good cell reception. BFE.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Computer is behind the glove box correct? Just want to be sure of where its located because I don't have the truck at my house currently. Where its at there is no internet nor very good cell reception. BFE.

Correct.

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10
Engine Size
350 TBI

I wasn't able to make it out there today, darn weather. But after much research I see where you are going. I need to make sure the injectors and prom are for a 350. I have a line on a guy that has several ecms in his garage, but he doesn't have a clue what engine they were matched to. Said I was welcome to one if I needed one, and a tbi also. Is there a compiled list anywhere of the prom codes for 350s? If not, what other vehicles can I find ecms that will work...is it the same prom chip in cars as the light duty trucks? Reason I ask is I am already hunting ecms and tbi units to be safe, we have a pull a part less than an hour from here and the parts interchange shows several Pontiac, Cadillac, etc cars. And am I right when I say that as long as the ecm is from a non computer controlled tranny it will work in my truck since I have the TH400? I am trying to be ahead of the game when it comes down to it. I picked up everything else I needed today to fix all the other previously listed issues. If I already know the codes for the prom I need, and the numbers on the injectors that I need, I might just go ahead and pick both up so I know I have what I need. And if I in turn don't need them, I will only be out about $50 if I have to go to pull a part for what I need.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yup, exactly.
This is the BCC finder for the code:http://www.gearhead-efi.com/BCCFind/
you Might have to register with the site to use it....not sure. Its a good site to be a member of though.
Its not so much the actual ecm that matters, its the chip code(BCC)
one computer can run V6,305,350 or 454, just by installing the proper chip.
5235206 is what you want to see for injectors.
5235279 are 305 injectors.

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yup, exactly.
you Might have to register with the site to use it....not sure. Its a good site to be a member of though.

Does the esc also need to be off of a 350 also?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Does the esc also need to be off of a 350 also?

Nahhh, that wouldnt givebyou the problems I am thinking about. The knock sensor should be for a 350 though.

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
V-10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Yup, exactly.

Prom is the original 305. Injectors are also from the 305. So I am heading out tomm looking for Injectors and a prom. Do you think I should pick up a ESC and knock sensor from the parts house? I know it doesn't matter, but I do have a new TPS and O2 sensor. The TPS is suspect to be bad and the O2 is almost broke in half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SquareInheretance