new style power steering pump with old style steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rscustomrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok, so I installed the GM serpentine belt system on my 1978 and now have to figure out the best way to address the steering lines. the return line is the same, but the other line is not. The issue is the new power steering pump uses the little o ring fitting that is supposed to be better and not leak as often. However, the steering box has the original fittings. So, option 1 is to have a hose custom made with the two different fittings. Option B is to track down an old power steering pump and steal the old fitting out of the back and screw it into the new pump. Anyone see any other options or have an opinion??

Thanks guys. Getting closer:)

Rich

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
I have the exact same set up on my 78, I got a stainless braid hose with adapter fittings. It was years ago and I can't remember if I got the part from jegs or summit but it was easy to cut to length and hasn't had a leak in years.

rscustomrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sweet. Thanks for the tip

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
I have the exact same set up on my 78, I got a stainless braid hose with adapter fittings. It was years ago and I can't remember if I got the part from jegs or summit but it was easy to cut to length and hasn't had a leak in years.

Man,, simple to fix,, just unscrew the fitting from one pump that ya need and screw it into the pump that dont match......

dont forget the o-ring that goes on the fitting that screws into the pump..

ask hotrod the pump will leak........:flamingdevil:

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Man,, simple to fix,, just unscrew the fitting from one pump that ya need and screw it into the pump that dont match......

dont forget the o-ring that goes on the fitting that screws into the pump..

ask hotrod the pump will leak........:flamingdevil:

What he said!!! But actually the they are the same fittings so the hoses will already work.

rscustomrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Update!!!

I found an adapter through speedway motors. It is a brass insert that goes into the back of the power steering pump and changes it from o ring to inverted flare. I then used the regular stock hose with inverted flare on both ends. It works perfectly and has no leaks.

The part is only $9.99 but they rape you for $7 shipping and send it in a giant cardboard box when it is the size of a small marble.

It was still worth it to me:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man