New problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
My truck has a similar issue to this: hard start when hot. Slow crank, stalls, slow crank, stalls, then fires right up.

Read something on it, and remember one of the guys say that the battery cable itself to the starter is corroded inside or gets heat soaked. So that it's fine when it's cold, but as soon as it's hot, there's too much resistance in the cable to turn the starter and/or fire up the truck.

Just a thought, but throw a ohmmeter across the cables cold & warm to see if there's a noticeable increase in resistance.

My issue is that it won't start at all. It ran fine than it wouldn't start and still won't start.

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Cool. Let us know.

I got the remote starter and still the same problem. I got a new starter today and still won't start. So within the past few days I replaced the starter, battery, and both cables and still cranks over like the battery is very weak. Timing was good when it was running. Anyone have any suggestions what to check next? I'm out of ideas! Thank you for the replies!!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I got the remote starter and still the same problem. I got a new starter today and still won't start. So within the past few days I replaced the starter, battery, and both cables and still cranks over like the battery is very weak. Timing was good when it was running. Anyone have any suggestions what to check next? I'm out of ideas! Thank you for the replies!!

When you say the timing is good what is it set at?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Do you have a load tester? Batteries can show max volts or a touch weak when sitting, but definitely can drop as soon as a load is applied.

One way would be to check the voltage on the battery sitting. Then have someone crank it over (or use the remote starter) and watch to see what it drops to.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Do you have a load tester? Batteries can show max volts or a touch weak when sitting, but definitely can drop as soon as a load is applied.

One way would be to check the voltage on the battery sitting. Then have someone crank it over (or use the remote starter) and watch to see what it drops to.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

The battery is brand new. I had it checked out before I left the store.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Neutral safety switch shorting out, perhaps? Maybe try starting it in neutral. It's not likely, and I don't know if it's even possible, but I'm just spitballing for you.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
What happens if you run a jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to the alternator bracket? Or better yet right onto one of the starter mounting bolts?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I don't know, man. It should start with that remote starter switch if the starter is new. The starter grounds to the block, and the block grounds to the truck, but it should turn over fine with direct power and strong, verified ground. Maybe there's extra resistance on the motor? I mean, there's always resistance on it because of accessories, but if the alternator or compressor seized, there could be more resistance. I doubt it's the PS pump, water pump, or AIR pump.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I figure its time to backtrack a bit. Since the positive battery lead goes direct to the starter there is more opportunity for a poor connection on the ground side. Not sure what size it is but there should be a big ground lead going to the alternator bracket which provides the negative side of the starter circuit. I think it would be worth a try to bypass this and go directly to the starter. If it cranks better then you have a direction to go.

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'll try all these suggestions. As far as accesories, no a/c, no air pump, power steering pump good, alt good. Thank you all for the replies. I really appreciate them!!

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Low cranking amps ? A new battery with too low of cca's could be an issue. Heat soak could also be an issue. My truck would start fine when cold, but after even a short trip, the starter was so heat soaked that it would drag when the key was turned. Starter solenoid issue?....just brainstorming. ..

Stepside Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Low cranking amps ? A new battery with too low of cca's could be an issue. Heat soak could also be an issue. My truck would start fine when cold, but after even a short trip, the starter was so heat soaked that it would drag when the key was turned. Starter solenoid issue?....just brainstorming. ..

Everything is brand new and tested. Not a heat soak issue because it won't start!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Can you post up a video of it cranking?

Forum statistics

Threads