New intake and carb question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

speedy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I havent installed the new stuff yet but i want to be sure i have all my parts before i attempt to install them. My previous setup was a stock aluminum intake with the egr deleted and a leaky wore out quadrajet with a broken choke. As long as I have owned my 82 it has never had a working choke. It wasn't even hooked up and I can not began to tell you where the wire is even at or where it should be. Is there a way I can rewire the choke with this new carb? What power source do I use?

Also with this new setup will I be able to use my existing throttle bracket?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What intake and what carb are you putting on? post some pics

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Also what trans?

Sent from the dust in front of you!

speedy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm away from the truck at the moment but it's a edelbrock performer eps intake and a summit brand 600cfm carb with vacuum secondaries and electric choke. It looks like a holley clone. It's not a permanent carb just to get me back on the road and not having to worry about a fire from a fuel leak. The trans is a th350. There's no kick down cable installed right now but I do plan to install one later on.

Sent from my SM-G925R7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Electric choke should be connected to a "key on" power source. If your truck wasn't equipped originally with electric choke, I recommend connecting to the windshield wiper motor.

If you don't want that old quadrajet anymore, I'll take it.

If you want a much better carb than the Summit carb you got, I'll build your quadrajet and send it back!!

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
^do it.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

speedy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Electric choke should be connected to a "key on" power source. If your truck wasn't equipped originally with electric choke, I recommend connecting to the windshield wiper motor.

If you want a much better carb than the Summit carb you got, I'll build your quadrajet and send it back!!
I honestly don't know if it was equipped or not. I'll have to do some looking to see. If not I'll go off of the wiper motor like you suggest.

That was actually what I was wanting to do. I just could not find anyone that would work on them. Ive always been told you cant beat them if they are done right. This one was definitely needing some work.

How much are we talking? Also just curious what kind of performance could you get out of it?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

Why the wiper motor?

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I honestly don't know if it was equipped or not. I'll have to do some looking to see. If not I'll go off of the wiper motor like you suggest.

That was actually what I was wanting to do. I just could not find anyone that would work on them. Ive always been told you cant beat them if they are done right. This one was definitely needing some work.

How much are we talking? Also just curious what kind of performance could you get out of it?

I charge $225 for a stock build, and $275 for performance build of your carb. My website shows what all I do on each build. They all include new jets, primary rods, float, high flow needle seat and much much more. As far as what performance? I set up each carb for its specific use. So you can expect good idle, fuel economy and smooth delivery of power all through your acceleration and WOT.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Why the wiper motor?

Power to the wiper motor is good "key on" power source. It is usually easy to find and access. Any key on source will work of course, and there are many options.
I don't suggest tying in to ignition system. That is best left alone.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Or, you can do it so its key on power... but only when the engines running, much better.
So if you turn the key on and leave it on, your choke wont open an be ineffective if you forget, on the back of the block there should be a fitting for an oil pressure guage or sensor. Get the little sensor which detects 10 psi or higher oil pressure, wire in constant power to the, then from that to choke.
You turn key on, pump gas to set choke, start engine, and once the engine starts it sees oil pressure, connecting the wire for the choke and slowly opening the choke thermostat

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Or, you can do it so its key on power... but only when the engines running, much better.
So if you turn the key on and leave it on, your choke wont open an be ineffective if you forget, on the back of the block there should be a fitting for an oil pressure guage or sensor. Get the little sensor which detects 10 psi or higher oil pressure, wire in constant power to the, then from that to choke.
You turn key on, pump gas to set choke, start engine, and once the engine starts it sees oil pressure, connecting the wire for the choke and slowly opening the choke thermostat

^^XX2 I totally agree. I also think if you are going to just run to a key on source then you should run right into the fuse block and use a spare accessory spot with its own fuse. That way your not hacking up the engine bay harness and it looks more professional and it is safer having its own fuse.

But ultimately it should be wired like it came if it had the factory electric choke which is what 83Kid is referring to. This is by far the best way to wire in an electric choke.

speedy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I charge $225 for a stock build, and $275 for performance build of your carb. My website shows what all I do on each build. They all include new jets, primary rods, float, high flow needle seat and much much more. As far as what performance? I set up each carb for its specific use. So you can expect good idle, fuel economy and smooth delivery of power all through your acceleration and WOT.
Alright I wish I had known before I bought this summit carb. I would have definitely went that route instead. It may be awhile before i can get anything else done. But just depends on how work is for the next month. I'll be in contact with you.

speedy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I got the intake installed tonight and test fitted the carb and of course my vacuum fitting behind the carb was in the way. So I stopped there and I'm going to try to find a fitting. Also need some plugs for the larger heater hose ports. Anyone have an idea what size thread fittings I need?

Edit: thread sizes are 3/8npt and 1/2npt if anyone else was curious.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus