new heads???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artelt

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SIERRA STEP SIDE
Engine Size
305/5.0L
I bought an 84 K10 with a 305 and i believe a 350 trans, well upon driving it home I figured out this truck has no power at all going up hills, the PO said that it needs the valve seats redone cause it burns oil and leaks like a stuck pig. I get the truck home and tried to clean up as much of the oil and grime, now to the point will new heads help the lack of power issue i am having? not a whole lot of money to throw into this thing, but i did however pick up a complete gasket set for it and now i am waiting to see what i should do so as not to waste the gasket set

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I bought an 84 K10 with a 305 and i believe a 350 trans, well upon driving it home I figured out this truck has no power at all going up hills, the PO said that it needs the valve seats redone cause it burns oil and leaks like a stuck pig. I get the truck home and tried to clean up as much of the oil and grime, now to the point will new heads help the lack of power issue i am having? not a whole lot of money to throw into this thing, but i did however pick up a complete gasket set for it and now i am waiting to see what i should do so as not to waste the gasket set

Take them to a machinest, have them done up. That would be more cost effective. Maybe throw in a new set of rocker nuts for good measure.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Burning oil and no power means worn cylinders dunnit? :shug:

Artelt

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SIERRA STEP SIDE
Engine Size
305/5.0L
the thing of it is, if i take it to a machine shop and they tear into the heads, and find more and more stuff wrong with the heads wouldn't it cost more to fix, as compared to buying new ones?

Artelt

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SIERRA STEP SIDE
Engine Size
305/5.0L
another question if its worn cylinders how does a person fix that?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
If things are that bad, may as well do a full rebuild, or get a crate 350. the oil burning could just be valve seals. try a cmpression check maybe?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Good Lord sounds like the same road I been down lol. Don't dump 2 grand into heads for it like i did.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
It's a 305, gms fuel economy engine, and it wasn't very good at that. IMO I wouldn't stick a dime into it, get a used 350 from an auto recycler and for the cost of new heads you'll have a better foundation for future performance upgrades. Or get a crate motor and have a new engine no worries with a warranty.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
It's a 305, gms fuel economy engine, and it wasn't very good at that. IMO I wouldn't stick a dime into it, get a used 350 from an auto recycler and for the cost of new heads you'll have a better foundation for future performance upgrades. Or get a crate motor and have a new engine no worries with a warranty.

This, just run that thing and save some money for another motor. Used or crate or whatever. :)

Artelt

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SIERRA STEP SIDE
Engine Size
305/5.0L
thank you guys for all the replies i think i will replace all the seals and gaskets cause i have already spent the money on the parts, and wait till that girl blows in the mean time start saving and looking for a 350, anything i should keep in mind when buying an engine? very new to this and learning as i go, one of my bigger problems is that i am in the army and work close to 12 hour days, and i dont have a garage just a little carport to try and work in

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
thank you guys for all the replies i think i will replace all the seals and gaskets cause i have already spent the money on the parts, and wait till that girl blows in the mean time start saving and looking for a 350, anything i should keep in mind when buying an engine? very new to this and learning as i go, one of my bigger problems is that i am in the army and work close to 12 hour days, and i dont have a garage just a little carport to try and work in

Thank you for serving our country. :patriot:

Sucks you got swindled like that. :lazer:

Artelt

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SIERRA STEP SIDE
Engine Size
305/5.0L
i didnt pay too much for the truck considering what people are trying to sell them for around here, $2800, and i had to keep the beer cans in the bed, best part about it all the leaking i believe has kept it from rusting, but i dont really like the step side just not my taste honestly

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
You can pull the engine, and if there is no lip on the cylinders, get a re ring kit, and hone the cylinders at least.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
i didnt pay too much for the truck considering what people are trying to sell them for around here, $2800, and i had to keep the beer cans in the bed, best part about it all the leaking i believe has kept it from rusting, but i dont really like the step side just not my taste honestly

You work at the base? Buddy of mine is a mechanic there for one of the contractors...was raytheon a few years back.

Artelt

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SIERRA STEP SIDE
Engine Size
305/5.0L
yes i work on the base but have only been here in Texas for 2 years, and what do you mean a lip on the cylinder? and to hone the cylinder all i need is a drill and a special tool right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP