New guy from Florida

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

special ed

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
350 ci
Hello everyone me name is Eric-and I’m new to this forum…. I am currently working on my 88 k5 doing a full convertible conversion…. I already have the hard top but I’m having a hard time trying to find a 73-75 windshield frame from a donor…. I see there are some aftermarket cowl and windshield frames for 73 to I think 81…. Has anyone used the aftermarket stuff yet? If so how did it work out?…. Or does anyone have a windshield frame they would like to sell?….

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Welcome from Austria. Post some pics of your project.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
:welcome: You have my attention on this one. I have a 82 2WD I'm thinking about making it full convertible. If you have the top you have a big piece of the puzzle. Please post some pics.

special ed

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
350 ci
I will post pics soon. I store the truck at a different location than where I live and mainly mess with it on my days off now for some reason around Central Florida. There’s a bunch of available parts like tops doors and other parts. I don’t know if it’s because of the hurricane created so much surplus or watt but I know there’s two or three tops laying around here at different locations. I just picked mine up for 500 bucks.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Welcome to the site. I just sold a 74 full top truck. What a pain in the arse to pull the top off without damaging anything. The quarters on mine were scuffed where the PO had dropped it down the side at some point. Anyway, why I'm stating this is to say that several years back I had a 70 and removed the top and never put it back on. I got a "safari" type top from a company called Colorado Custom or something like that. It was not that expensive and it certainly was much better than trying to get that heavy top maneuvered onto the truck without damage. Also, those full top trucks will make a bunch of noise there where the top meets the windshield if there is ANY give in the body/body bushings. Just giving you some ideas outside of using that heavy and awkward top.
I just found that Offroad Design and Softtopper are two companies that offer that full convertible and adjustable top for the K5 as well. Good luck in your build.

HS

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Yup, just dump your wallet out and you can have a wonderful soft top.

My advice is find a Marine manufacturer's supply and buy the slides for the canvas with a plastic solid 3/8" bead melted in, then use old extension cords, some epoxy and a heat gun to form your own plastic bead sliders. If you cut the canvas yourself and stiffen the frame with a cage up top, carefully, you should be able to make something work.

My plan is to weld a headache frame over the driver/passenger head to the tubing, so my canvas startes around 8-10 inches behind the driver's head. It will need to be reinforced for roll over. GM added a safety recall to never remove the topper, because of accidental head injuries during a roll. I would really brace the roof top and extend with as much solid welded supports as you would want without risking your head hitting any support bars. If you go external over the roof with a tube off the tube flush with the roof, you'll get a light bar and added protection for the truck ceiling, where it would fold onto your skull in an accident.

When I was building turbo Nissan's, the rule was no bars within 8"of your head without a helmet on. You might have to get creative to support the existing roof somewhat externally, and then weld outwards towards your canvas solution.

Another option is use aluminum sheets and insulation for a few feet from the structural improvements and then only canvas the back half of the bed frame.

Any marine shop in town near you will have this:
https://tacomarine.com/tracks-slides

You must be registered for see images attach

I hope this is what you were asking... if not pardon me for mis-understanding...

Last edited:

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

special ed

Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
350 ci
First of all, I appreciate everybody’s input. I am open to any and all ideas. There’s no such thing as a bad one when I was trying to do though is going as original as possible using the top of the windshield frame from 73 grafting it on my 88 so I could use the top. I’m also a big fan of soft tops as well. I just like to have options I have an idea of what I wanna do it’s just finding the windshield frame off of the 73 through 75 has been my hardest part so far. Also, they have the aftermarket stuff but I can’t find a picture of the part of the frame it faces the driver which should be the back part to see how close it was to matching the hard top to see if it’s compatible otherwise I would just spend the money on the aftermarket I’m just waiting on peoples experiences with the aftermarket stuff to see if it’s worth it

Hogger

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from Cochise County AZ

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads