new from upstate ny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82k10ny

Reaction score
First Name
clint
Truck Year
1982 & 1984
Truck Model
k10 & c20
Engine Size
250 & 454
hey guys new on here from upstate ny, just outside albany, been browsing pirate4x4 since about sept when i picked up my 82 k10 but there way more custom stuff over there than what i have and plan on doing currently. little info for ya guys.

last may as a graduation gift to myself (2 year automotive program at community college) i was dead set on getting a old chevy, there all my dad had when i was growing up (6 in a row) and i allways loved them there real trucks. so i was on the hunt, looked at a few here or there few were way more of a project than i wanted i was really open as far as 2wd/4wd big block/small block etc really just a decent driver since i still had my 98 sonoma ext cab v6 2wd as a daily driver. i came across a fully restored 85 k10 long box in western ny for like 8k called on it guy did it all himself in about 2 years it had a plow (fully redone fisher 8 foot full hydro) 350/turbo400. made a plan to go out that friday and look at it. well friday came i called to make sure we were still on and he told me he just sold it yesterday. so i was pretty pissed. but ohwell. back on the hunt. i found on cl a 84 c20 camper special at a little dealership locally. went and looked at it, it was mint! they bought it at auction in Oregon aswell as a bunch of other vehicles. I had to work that saturday so a look was all i got. i went back monday and took it for a test drive, and at about 5 pm in the rain :boxed: my show truck was home
You must be registered for see images attach

day she came home
now i know i said i wanted a driver, but you can eat off this thing wherever you please 68k on the dash pw/pl,tilt,ac,cruise,factory installed audiovox cb radio mid 90s 454 crate turbo 400 with shift kit 4.56 w/posi firestone overload bags.

at a local show june of 2012

i took it to 3 shows and a handful of cruise ins put about 1800 miles on her last summer also pulled about 8k lbs of concrete in a dump trailer (had to work the bb a little) then took my sea-doo to the lake.

i loved my little sonoma but i really wanted a 4wd pickup i have a snowmobile camp in the Adirondacks and it can get hairy in a 2wd pickup. so back on the craigslist hunt i sold my sonoma for 3800 bucks. I really wanted a cclb k30 but couldnt find a driver quality unit north of the mason dixion and east of the mississippi. one day i found a 82 k10 in northwest jersey 3 hr drive from me for 5500 little more than i wanted to spend only getting just shy of 4k for my old truck so i call and tell him right off the bat if he wont think about 5k ill just hang up and find another unit. he said that was in the ballpark so we talked and that friday me and my buddy went and checked it out. now this is a driver quality truck. 82 k10 long box 250 i6, sm465, np208, 10 bolts with 3.42s open with factory locking hubs still. it had 89k orignal miles has lmc fenders and door skins as well as newer paint. (i confirmed the 89k orignal off 3 things A) still had auto hubs, B)it still had a 250 in it, C) all ujoints were orignal nylon injected jobs.) i drove it, looked it over offered him 4800 and he took it. then for 200 bucks offered to drive it to my house for me that sunday. was worth it to me, didnt have to find a trailer and go back, or dicker with dmv to get it on the road and drive it back home. so that sunday about 3.5 hrs after he called sayin he was leavin this rolled up in my driveway

as soon as it was in my driveway i ordered warn hubs for it, and did front axle u joints. and put hella black magics on the bumper

it didnt need tires but i wanted tires for winter so i picked up a set of 31x11.5 swamper ltbs with 3/4 tread for 300 bucks and put em on the stock rallye wheels. this spring i got a visor for it painted to match and got that on.
also picked up a set of cooper at3s with half tread for summer tires and got a set of cragar 15x8 soft 8s in black and the factory beauty rings fit those wheels to and it looks awsome. presently shes using some oil bout a quart a week which by me is fine for something this old for a daily driver. but i picked up a complete 250 from a 73 nova that im going to build up, .030 over mild cam milled head offy intake holley 2 barrel and a header. gonna throw that together over the winter for next spring.

this looks like a great forum and hope i didnt bore you to much

:grd:

clint

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

cedens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cliff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 4bbl
Welcome! and before someone else says it find a 350 for that K10

and you couldn't drive it home with a ins card and a bill of sale?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy! You've got a pair of really cool trucks! And I don't care what anyone tells you, keep the K10 as an inline 6 and a 4 speed!!! A truck like that is hard to find.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Welcome and cool trucks!

Glad to hear you're keeping the 6 cylinder in it. Don't see many of those any more.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

82k10ny

Reaction score
First Name
clint
Truck Year
1982 & 1984
Truck Model
k10 & c20
Engine Size
250 & 454
thanks guys. i contenplated building a 8 for. (all but one of my buddies want me to v8 it) it had a 76 400 block that was .040 over my buddy gave me, but he had it setup for 6 inch rods and hi comp. it was a grenade waiting to happen if it was ever built like that. it would last in my truck but for the cost of the rotating assembly i could get a 350 crate lol. then i started thinking outside the box my buddy has a 69 hi nickel 327 he would sell me cheap .030 over ready for parts, or i was gonna go way out on a limb and find a 366 from like a gmc 7000. but i personally feel bad pulling the 6 for a 8. i bought it because of the 6 for one and its made it 31 years without being swapped truely a survivor. so ill build a saturday night special motor. oh i forgot to mention i got it from the 3rd owner and have the orignal window sticker,owners manual,igniton lock operation manual, light duty truck service schedule,delivery booklet with orignal owners name on it,vin tag, date, and miles on vehicle, as well as the operators manual for the factory radio. still has the emmsions sticker on the core support, and the 4wd operation procedure sticker on the drivers side sun visor!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
One thing I would do is swap on an older head from a 230. HotRod here told me it would flow a little better and get the compression up a little. At least I think that's what he said.

cedens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cliff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 4bbl
Wow she's been taken care of, i just have dad's memory... the sticker is long gone from the visor but could be in a drawer somewhere, i'ld also bet the window sticker is there also LOL!!!

I know you can get the original invoice from that GM heritage site, do dealers keep any of those records? Or would calling the guy we bought it from be a waste (and yes he still works there owns the place lol)

And i'm on the same page with you on my 305, its done all its needed to in 31 years and still runs like a champ. Doesn't even use oil lol.

Senck243

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Welcome from just below you in Greene county. Nice trucks

Sent from hell

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Great intro and trucks. You made some great finds for this part of the country.

82k10ny

Reaction score
First Name
clint
Truck Year
1982 & 1984
Truck Model
k10 & c20
Engine Size
250 & 454
89 burb- yea ive been looking ever since i got my permit. the northeast aint easy on trucks. but i got my sonoma for 400 bucks with a blown trans. good first truck, couldnt take my road test in it tho because reverse didnt work... broken sunshell. hahaha. but i drove her 3k miles my first summer with no 2nd overdrive or reverse. over the 4 years i drove it i had 4k bucks into it which may sound like alot, but i did alot of stuff to call it my own, and it withstood a typical teenage guys driving style for close to 70k miles and never let me down.

senck- cool your not so far away!

bucket- im putting together a 250 from a 73 nova. definatly gonna deck it a bit and if i go the extra mile im gonna run 307 chevy pistons true flat tops and shoot for maybe 10:1. i really just wanna build up a motor for the sake of getting this junk never been rebuilt cuz its not worth it rochester 2se off this truck and get a holley 2 barrel on it.

1ATony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
:welcome:

82k10ny

Reaction score
First Name
clint
Truck Year
1982 & 1984
Truck Model
k10 & c20
Engine Size
250 & 454
thanks guys, im getting a list together gonna try and regear the c20 over the winter, the 4.56s are most def a 80s pullin truck gear, built to go 55 and thats about it. it will do 85 no problem but its spinning over 4k. im right at 3800 revs to go 70-75. its a show truck but i do enjoy driving it, and if it was more practical i would drive it more, with the big block and for what i tow, it does not need the 4.56s. gonna shoot for a set of 3.42s get me down to 2800 or so on the highway at 70. should have plenty to still light em up when i get the itch.

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
yo clint whatsup

hey if your going to re gear from 4.56 your going to need a whole new carrier