Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
86 k10 - when i step on the brakes the front driving lights go on and off with the brake pedal. No to very very dim blinkers as well. I replaced the turn signal switch in the steering coloum and that did not help (it did stop my horn from working though. Happened as i was puting the wheel back on). I am ok with electical just don’t know where to start? Any ideas? I am new to square bodies as well. I grew up in them but thats about it.

Thanks,
Adam

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Ok i might not be that okay with electrical but i can follow directions if pointed in the right direction...

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Grounds, electricity flow the path of least resistance. If your grounds have terrible connections it will feed through the circuit as intended and determine if it wants to use the intended ground wire or back feed through another circuit using the same ground in that location looking for a better ground.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
yeah guess I have to start poking around and following wires?! My truck is a wiring mess! previous owners hacked her up good.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just as a test, pull the tail/stop/turn bulbs (the 2 filament ones) from the rear light assemblies. Step on the brakes and see if the front lights still come on.

That will tell you if there is a cross connection between the brake/hazard/turn signal circuit and the parking/marker light circuit. If it still happens, disconnect the rear lighting harness at the weather-tite plug (behind the bumper on the rear cross member).

If it still happens, there is a short somewhere in the cab. Try the above tests first.

And, be sure you have the right bulbs installed (1157) and they are seated in the socket correctly.

Did you do any repairs/modifications prior to when this problem started?

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Great tip i will try soon as i get home. I did nothing to the truck. When i first looked at the truck before I bought it they worked. Two weeks later when I decided to buy it the seller mentioned that the light just went wacky on him the night before. Been like that ever since.

Evil Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Well that was just embarrassing... after ripping apart the steering column replacing the turn signal switch and now my horn doesn’t work lol. It was my buddy, the seller of the truck hooked me up without telling me. He replaced the tail lights... I know because when I did my check there were brand new 1156 bulbs in the sockets. Yes 1156 (one filament). $7 later with new 1157’s and issue resolved lol. Now i have to figure out what I did to my horn?! All the fuses look fine. Agh...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay