need help 496 in c10 steering brackets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

watertreatpete

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I am in need of some help, looking to see what others have done? I am have a 1984 c10 that I am putting a 496 bbc in it. Having problems finding power steering pump and brackets to clear the frame. Right now I have a long style water pump, 2 grove v belt pulley(on the crank) and the stock small block power steering pump. How can I make this work? how are others running power steering?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Pump is the same you just need big block brackets, but if your truck had a small block originally make sure you use big block clamshells, if you use small block ones the motor won't sit right and you'll have clearance problems.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I used my small block engine mounts on my big block, everything fits and sits dandy.

For the power steering pump, I used the big block brackets, I think they were from a 70's RV. I just got a new pressure hose from the parts store, looked it up for a big block C20 probably.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It all fits and bolts up perfect but it's not quite right and anything that would be real close to the frame won't clear been there done that, if you measure both clamshells you'll see a slight difference.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It all fits and bolts up perfect but it's not quite right and anything that would be real close to the frame won't clear been there done that, if you measure both clamshells you'll see a slight difference.

I know they are a little different, but I didn't have the correct mounts available. My K30 is big block swapped too, and I seriously doubt that guy (the PO) tracked down the correct mounts, there's no clearance issues at all there either.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I know they are a little different, but I didn't have the correct mounts available. My K30 is big block swapped too, and I seriously doubt that guy (the PO) tracked down the correct mounts, there's no clearance issues at all there either.
There isn't much difference, but like I said if anything was real close to the frame before then there will be issues, headers is one of them depending on the brand.

watertreatpete

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I ended up getting a pump with reservoir from a 84 c20 , It fits a bit better but the return line is close to the frame. I think I can make it work Running brackets from Tuffstuff . I wish I could have found stock brackets, as the ones I have seem to stick out to far.

I don't have any problems with the engine mounts from small block. I have a set of cheap summit headers and they clear the frame by about 3/8 to half an inch, It is a tight fit.

Now I am making alternator brackets for the tall deck block since no one makes them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85