My next project: Hooking up a different washer pump/bottle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
I did this mod on my '69 C20. You get a washer bottle from an early 90's S10 or an 88 chevy truck, and they have the motor built in to the tank.

It's been years since I did the mod, and now I'm trying to remember how I did it. It doesn't help that square bodies have the pump in the engine bay, and the '69 had the pump inside, so it's messing with my thought process on how to do this.

Help me work through this. Basically I just need to bypass the stock pump all together, right? Remove the hose lines and connect to the new reservoir/pump, and then run the black and red wires to black and red right before the pump? Or do I need to run new power lines all the way from the back of the wiper knob on the dash to the new pump?

In the attached picture, I figure in #1 I'll remove the lines and put in a T fitting that combines the two nozzle lines and the main line that goes to the pump. That seems easy enough. What is the wiring in #2? What is the wiring in #3? If #2 (for example) is the old pump, can I just unclip that and splice in the red and black wires from the new pump?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Back in the early 90's I ran an aftermarket pump (similar to below) in my '77 K5 when the pump went out. The nice part about it is if you hold your finger on the washer button, it would constantly pump fluid on the windshield. Great for when you're mudding.

I don't recall how the wiring went, but you can just use a test light and figure out which is the hot lead for the pump and move it to your new pump.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Back in the early 90's I ran an aftermarket pump (similar to below) in my '77 K5 when the pump went out. The nice part about it is if you hold your finger on the washer button, it would constantly pump fluid on the windshield. Great for when you're mudding.

I don't recall how the wiring went, but you can just use a test light and figure out which is the hot lead for the pump and move it to your new pump.

Cool. So do I need someone to press the washer button on the dash, while I use a test light?

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Cool. So do I need someone to press the washer button on the dash, while I use a test light?

Just set the test light down in such a way you can see it as reach in and hit the wiper.... dude..
I have a customized tet light where I spliced in an roach clip... ehm I mean an alligator clip alongside the sharp probe. I extended the wires to about 4 feet long and the light itself is mounted to plastic clothes line clip just for holding it in a position where I can see it.
I'm well used to working alone and have built structures by my self. I'll simply make a jig to hold one end up. Then I can toss it when I'm done or cut it up for something else. I don't this kind of flexibility with humans, and besides cutting them up re-purpose never goes well with humans. Fricken darn people anyway...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Connector #3 is the one you will use to power your washer pump.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

I just saw one of these in a square at the junk yard

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Just set the test light down in such a way you can see it as reach in and hit the wiper.... dude..
I have a customized tet light where I spliced in an roach clip... ehm I mean an alligator clip alongside the sharp probe. I extended the wires to about 4 feet long and the light itself is mounted to plastic clothes line clip just for holding it in a position where I can see it.
I'm well used to working alone and have built structures by my self. I'll simply make a jig to hold one end up. Then I can toss it when I'm done or cut it up for something else. I don't this kind of flexibility with humans, and besides cutting them up re-purpose never goes well with humans. Fricken darn people anyway...
Lol. Great ideas, although with a 6" lift and 35" tires, reaching could be interesting, which means being on a ladder... Which adds more complication

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
Thanks for the help everyone. I got it all working!

I went with an '88 full size chevy truck washer bottle. It is bigger than the S10 one, the motor is on the back, and it has a third mounting hole for stability.

I was able to leave the hoses plugged in the factory location, other than of course running a hose to the new bottle.

As you can see from the video, it definitely pumps!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

So let's see... In a weekend I got the heat fixed, horn working, and now the washers work. I think I deserve a beer, and so does everybody that contributed!

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

I went with an '88 full size chevy truck washer bottle. It is bigger than the S10 one, the motor is on the back, and it has a third mounting hole for stability.

I was able to leave the hoses plugged in the factory location, other than of course running a hose to the new bottle.

So let's see... In a weekend I got the heat fixed, horn working, and now the washers work. I think I deserve a beer, and so does everybody that contributed!

How did you wire it in?

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
How did you wire it in?
Unlug #3 in my picture. Cut the wires. Splice the red wire to the red wire that comes out of the new pump. Splice the tan wire to the black wire from the new pump. Super easy. I didn't have to do anything behind the dash

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I may do this as im very tired of no squirters

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
I may do this as im very tired of no squirters
It's super easy, and costs less than $8 for everything.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You don't even have to change the bottle if you don't want to. An inline pump will wire in the same way.

MisterB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K2500 4X4
Engine Size
You don't even have to change the bottle if you don't want to. An inline pump will wire in the same way.
True, although this bottle holds more fluid than the stock one, and where the pump is built in to the back or the bottle, it makes for a very clean looking install.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!

Good work now you can come and do mine... needs it. Winter coming it will be too cold to haul my junk out to squirt on the window. I see your wiper piss is the same color as mine!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HectorGarcia415