My 3/4 Ton Axle Swap Progress with pictures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hey All,

I have been posting many questions over the past few weeks regarding swapping in a 14 bolt rear end into my 87' K10. I figured I would post up some pictures of my progress as I enjoy reading others threads on projects.

I don't have any pictures of the axles when I got them, but picked up a 14 bolt Semi-floater and 10 bolt front for $200 locally of CL. They were pretty rusty but looked to be in good shape. First I pulled the drums and had them ground smooth by a local shop.

The shoes were not worn bad, but everything was rusted up. I think these had been sitting outside for a long time unused.

picture.php

I pulled everything off the backing plates and sandblasted the axle, primed it red.

picture.php

Installed all new brake shoes and springs/adjusters.

picture.php

The same day I was working on sandblasting the rear, the new wheels and tires showed up from Tire Rack. Pumped about getting these installed.

picture.php

I also pulled the diff cover off, cleaned it with a can of brake cleaner, replaced the cover and filled with new oil. Painted it semi-gloss black with a brush, hoping brushing it on will be tougher than spray.

Here is a picture of the 10 bolt front axle, I failed to take any pictures, but it went through the same steps, torn down, new Moog ball joints, sandblasted the entire assembly, new oil and painted black. I even got the special socket for the ball joint adjusters and replaced those, I don't know if its worth the time, but it makes me feel better.

picture.php

This all took about 2 weeks of work after the kids were asleep and a few hours each weekend.

Tuesday we started installing everything. Got the old 10 bolt out

picture.php

and the new 14 bolt installed

picture.php

Project stalled out after that, we couldn't install the rear wheels as tire rack sent 7/16 lugnuts instead of 9/16. I called them today and they are overnighting the right ones to me. Once we get the rear wheels on, I'll start into the front axle.

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks good nice work sand blasting and painting those axles look great

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice Job !!!!
Might want to watch the seals after sandblasting.
I have never sandblasted a differential or transmission but, I have been told that the sand gets into everything, and so, I always thought it would be wise to tape the yoke and axles to keep sand out of them.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Good point on the taping, I didn't have a picture of that here, but I did put tape and rags around the axle seals and pinion seal - that sand gets everywhere and I wanted to make sure it didn't ruin anything.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Good point on the taping, I didn't have a picture of that here, but I did put tape and rags around the axle seals and pinion seal - that sand gets everywhere and I wanted to make sure it didn't ruin anything.

This is very good You know.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
More progress - over the weekend I got the front axle installed. Ran into a snag when the new calipers didnt work with old brake lines - found out the 1/2 ton and 3/4 calipers are the same size, but have different piston sizes - so used the old ones over.

Got brakes bleed and wheels on - here is a picture

picture.php

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Also - do people remove that plastic air dam that is below the front bumper? I am thinking of taking mine off....

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Bleed the brakes today for the 2nd time to get all the air out. Took a nice picture, drove it around afterwards - loving the 4.10 gears and the 32" tires. These 265/75/16's are perfect for the K20's.

picture.php

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Truck looks nice! You can remove the plastic air dam if you think you need the clearance but if it is going to stay a street truck I would leave it on.

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
Your truck is looking fantastic! I would love for mine to look anywhere near that clean.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks everyone. I'm really happy how it has turned out. I got a lot of information from everyone here with questions on tires, wheel offset, the number for the conversion u-joint, etc.

So Thank You All!

Next project - replacing the worn out motor, hopefully this winter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bonanza 77