looking to increase steering power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

weasel609

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
so my 79 4x4 is finally gotten a taste for mud and loves it; she chews, digs and the 12000lb warn loves to pull out dodges hahaha. the issue im having is when i get caught in deeper ruts my steering isnt strong enough to pop myself out. i turn the steering wheel but the wheels wont listen. i have a four inch lift running running 35x12.5s, brand new gear box and pump. what are my options?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
hydro ram assist is what a lot of the jeep guys go to when they get to that point. Check out PSCmotorsports.com for a better idea.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Definitely would make sure I was running both steering box braces !

weasel609

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
absolutley, i was so surprised to see how much the frame flexes. i parked in a road deactivation ditch and opened my hood; i had to pull onto flat ground to be able to close it

weasel609

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
thanks marks86 i have heard of this upgraded crossover steering but wasnt too sure what it was and how hard it would be to instsall. doesnt look too hard at all.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yep just a bit pricy

Positrack

Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Truck Year
'76 and '78
Truck Model
K25 and K30
Engine Size
400 in both
Crossover steering is a fantastic upgrade and IMHO, pretty much mandatory for anything over 4" lift if the truck is really used offroad. I have the ORD kit on my truck, and it is VERY nice. I bought it for my old truck with a 4" lift, and the difference was night and day. However, it does put an even worse beating on the frame than the stock setup, so if you go X-over, I'd definitely add a steering box brace (you really ought to install one anyway with hard offroad use). I built one for my previous truck after totally trashing the steering box area on the frame:

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

It's ridiculous overkill, but I had a little, "I'll fix this <bleepin'> thing once and for all" running in the veins...

However, great as X-over is for steering geometry and function offroad, it won't add any power to your steering. For that, you can try a little pump tweaking, but for any significant improvement, you're going to have to go with some sort of ram assist. Check out PSC as was mentioned earlier. It's on the agenda for me too here shortly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000