looking for a Grumman van

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Unless there is something really wrong with the step van, I’m buying it tomorrow. Worst case scenario, I have a 4bt and manual box to swap into a square body to make a decent commuter.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No you weren't here being a 2018 member. This was 2012 that @wildcatjason was here. I wonder how that dude is doing. He was pretty much a traveling nurse and ended up selling his Burb and buying a Dodge truck to tow a big travel trailer working around the US.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
So it's that good of deal you already know you're buying it?

I never really get attached to an idea until I’m driving it home. I have to check it out really thoroughly if I’m going to hop in and drive it 220 miles home in evening traffic through the Bay Area.

If what they say is true, “it has no mechanical issues” and the frame is solid, then I’ll pick it up. I’m going to crawl around underneath it, check all the fluids, pull the blow by hose or crankcase breather, check for running leaks, wiggle the turbo bearing up and down and drive the crap out of it for a while before I make an offer.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
I used to go out to the nearby motorhome plant to service the bare P30 chassis's that were delivered to be built on. They would get 8 or 10 at a time all GM, all 454 turbo 400's. Load up my tool box take PS fluid ,ATF and 15-40 , gear oil , W/S washer, fluid brake fluid and antifreeze and check over all of them at once. Was a 2-day deal. Usually could breeze through them in 8 to 12 hours if everything was good. But I NEVER got back to the dealer until I got my full 2 days in.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
Bread trucks are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Insulating them is fine, but the doors rattle and the roll up door can never be quieted. If you want to build a motorhome, start with a large ambulance or school bus. Those have heating and A/C already, the ambulance has the electrical converters and should have a generator already set up. These make great go almost anywhere survival vehicles. Other than that, buy a used military multi fuel or forestry fire fighter vehicle.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Bread trucks are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Insulating them is fine, but the doors rattle and the roll up door can never be quieted. If you want to build a motorhome, start with a large ambulance or school bus. Those have heating and A/C already, the ambulance has the electrical converters and should have a generator already set up. These make great go almost anywhere survival vehicles. Other than that, buy a used military multi fuel or forestry fire fighter vehicle.

The plan isn’t for a motor home. For a business vehicle where none of that will matter.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
When I was at FedEx Ground the vans we had at the beginning were Navistar frames running their 7.3 diesel with bodies made by Supreme. The later trucks were Grumman bodies with the Cummins 6bt. I was wishing I could combine the two because the Supreme body was far better than the Grumman but the Cummins came with an automatic trans which was like a cool drink on a hot day. You can really appreciate an automatic after you've logged 50,000 hours behind a stick.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The motor was really nice in the van, but it had far too many issues. I crawled under the truck and the first thing I noticed was the front u joint was held on by 3 out of 4 bolts and they were all loose. I tightened it up an a few other things and test drove it. It just didn’t feel right. Something in the rear end. Not to mention, the body was beat and wouldn’t make my company look very professional...

Needless to say, I passed and I’m on the 220 mile trip home now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The motor was really nice in the van, but it had far too many issues. I crawled under the truck and the first thing I noticed was the front u joint was held on by 3 out of 4 bolts and they were all loose. I tightened it up an a few other things and test drove it. It just didn’t feel right. Something in the rear end. Not to mention, the body was beat and wouldn’t make my company look very professional...

Needless to say, I passed and I’m on the 220 mile trip home now.
Bummer !!! That sux to go that far. But worse, if you have bought then found out the hard way. Sorry it didn't pan out.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The search continues. There’s a guy with a 1980 Chevy step van with 57k miles that’s been parked for 20 years he’ll let me have for $500. It’s a gas motor though. I was looking for a diesel due to the complete smog exemption. It’d also be a 120 mile tow to my property. But, since my area is so rural, we have relaxed smog inspections. Strictly two-speed tests on anything older than 2000. No visual or obd.

You must be registered for see images attach

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I'd love this 58 chevy step van, but they put it on a burb chassis, so it wouldn't be heavy duty enough...or would it? we'll be adding a few thousand pounds plus...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/58-chevy-step-van/6563287580.html

edit: I just looked closer and the chassis is modified, so that's definitely a no-go for me. I don't trust someone to weld a chassis for a commercial use vehicle that doesn't have the foresight and perseverance to see the project through to the end.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The search continues. There’s a guy with a 1980 Chevy step van with 57k miles that’s been parked for 20 years he’ll let me have for $500. It’s a gas motor though. I was looking for a diesel due to the complete smog exemption. It’d also be a 120 mile tow to my property. But, since my area is so rural, we have relaxed smog inspections. Strictly two-speed tests on anything older than 2000. No visual or obd.

I have one like that. Been sitting since the engine crapped out several years ago. They are availible in 3/4 and one ton if I remember correctly. Not as long as some of the Grummans and such, about 10' inside if I remember right. Mine is a 3/4 ton and I used to haul 2000-3000 pounds when making deliveries.

$500 is a good price if its in decent shape and you can get it running.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64