Long bed to short bed conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarshMobbin907

Reaction score
First Name
Riley
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Flux core is for making yard animals out of garden tools not welding frames. You want a MIG set up. And I hen welding vertically you go bottom up.
I kinda have a budget for a welder due to the wife, would flux core at least be good for body work?

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I found a better idea for this post

Last edited:

MarshMobbin907

Reaction score
First Name
Riley
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Oh c'mon. I guarantee most guys on here that are married have budgets set for them all the time. If not, we'd spend all the money on beer and parts lol

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Flux core is a dirty weld.
C'mon...you like it dirty...lmao

In all seriousness, a mig welder with the correct amperage setting and heat penetration will work fine for a longbed to shortbed frame modification. The metal thickness on the c 10 frames isn't very thick. You guys are trying to compare the frame thickness of a 80's Chevy truck to tractors, or tractor trailers....very funny. Tractorsor semis are used for heavier application than any c 10. This is an apples to oranges comparison.

A mig welder (110volt) will sufficiently perform the job as long as it is performed by someone with the proper skill level. Clean welds, penetration (and yes even flux core)...will do the job. Even if flux core leaves "dirty welds"...will do the job just fine. I a not suggesting that a novice welder applying booger welds, hit and skip welds will do the job by any means. If you want to do a vertical chop, go ahead...but be absolutely sure to plate as well and do a continuous weld on the plate. I opted to do a "z" cut myself..to each his own. I also used a 110v Lincoln mig welder and with the proper amperage, I was able to apply a single pass continuous weld without any issues. I also fabricated and welded my rear bridge using the SAME welder. The bridge was made using 3/16 thick rectangular steel...again with no problems whatsoever. It may take longer to weld, but it has held up fine and I am absolutely confident in my welds.

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Oh c'mon. I guarantee most guys on here that are married have budgets set for them all the time. If not, we'd spend all the money on beer and parts lol
Lmao...

After 21 years of marriage. .....

What I spend on projects and toys is far different from what my wife THINKS I spend.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Lmao...

After 21 years of marriage. .....

What I spend on projects and toys is far different from what my wife THINKS I spend.
What he said. Too bad I can only likes it once like on your next 10 posts wether I likem or not lol

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
What he said. Too bad I can only likes it once like on your next 10 posts wether I likem or not lol
LOL

All this talk about shotbed conversions. I have a short wheel base rolling chassis in my front yard I need gone.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
That's a myth started and pushed by misandry. Fact is the overwhelming majority of men will die for their women (and families). Men are noble creatures even with their beer and loud farts.

roundhouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
77,78,79,80 ?
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
LOL

All this talk about shotbed conversions. I have a short wheel base rolling chassis in my front yard I need gone.

Yeah

I’ve taken two shortbed trucks to the crusher because I couldn’t give them away

Lot of work to convert a half ton

If you had a 1 ton with the tall frame and Dana 60s it might be worth the effort

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
So I'm in a handful of welding engineering classes. Now I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert by any means. But I asked my professor what he thought would be a better cut for shortening a frame. He thought a straight cut would be best, minimise the heat affected zone. And he's not just a desk jockey, he was an aerospace welder himself and an accomplished welding engineering. This guy is pretty damn smart, he has a good handle on every flavor of engineering and the science behind it. Figured I'd pass on what he thought.

Now not to say a fancy cut wouldn't work, it's obviously tried and proven as well.

echo7bravo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 stepside
Engine Size
350/Th400, 4.56 with 35" BFG MT
So I'm in a handful of welding engineering classes. Now I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert by any means. But I asked my professor what he thought would be a better cut for shortening a frame. He thought a straight cut would be best, minimise the heat affected zone. And he's not just a desk jockey, he was an aerospace welder himself and an accomplished welding engineering. This guy is pretty damn smart, he has a good handle on every flavor of engineering and the science behind it. Figured I'd pass on what he thought.

Now not to say a fancy cut wouldn't work, it's obviously tried and proven as well.
Better cut would be for someone to cut over to Birmingham and get this 1/2 ton short wheel base out off my driveway. LOL

I'm sure the engineers know more than the DIY home fellas. But either way I think it would hold just fine. However, I think I would reinforce it with a plate either way.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Better cut would be for someone to cut over to Birmingham and get this 1/2 ton short wheel base out off my driveway. LOL

I'm sure the engineers know more than the DIY home fellas. But either way I think it would hold just fine. However, I think I would reinforce it with a plate either way.

Lol, fair enough

Agreed on both counts

454-k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

If I was closer that swb would be on my trailer. :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20