Lock ring repair on a steel tank?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
So on my tank that I pulled off the truck last summer, I tried replacing just the sending unit, but 40 years and caked on dirt and grime rusted the hell out of the sending unit and the lock tabs for the ring. I was able to get it out, at the cost of pretty much the entire mounting mechanism for the lock ring, like it peeled off from the tank and now its just a bare tank with a little sodder(can grind down smooth, tank has been empty since august in a ventilated shed.), would fill with vinegar probably just to clean the gunk out of the gas tank and the minimal debris. That way no potential issue with sparking, even thoguh its been forever.

On plastic tanks, they sell a kit that you can screw into the tank to repair the lockring if it were to become damaged. Is this something one can do or any creative ideas to do to a steel tank? ID like to fix the tank, its really not rusted internally, just the sender was shot and the top rusted bad. But the tank is clean outside with just surface rust and inside was gunky at worst. I need a passenger tank, that one has a convenient puncture when gas was removed from it when the switching valve broke many years ago...

Id assume fix this tank up, get a new valve, and fix the wiring for the switcher and have 2 gas tanks again.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Be real careful about welding on an old gasoline tank. Something about the metal has absorbed the fuel and when you heat it, the fuel fumes are released. I'm not the pro welder but I was told by an expert welder the only safe way to weld on a used tank is to fill it with water, then weld.

Better idea might be to drill 5 small holes in the new lock ring and tank, then attach with machine screws and the little nylock nuts. Many medium duty trucks have the sender float installed this way, except the inside of the tank has a thicker ring attached to the inside for the machine screw threads.

How about a picture of this tank?

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
^ this. You're liable to spend a lot more time and money trying to get an old one fixed and still end up buying a new one.

That's what I'd do. The part about spending all the time and money and ending up buying a new one anyway.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I got mine for 50 dollars new from amazon, only because it took a month to ship and had a broken cardboard box. But it was uncommon. Where are you seeing these tanks? And, I had to drive an hour to pick it up because the shipping company decided they couldnt deliver it. I was a little upset.

Anywho, Its not sounding like steel tanks have the repair kits then? I know plastic ones do, but thats plastic vs metal.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Be real careful about welding on an old gasoline tank. Something about the metal has absorbed the fuel and when you heat it, the fuel fumes are released. I'm not the pro welder but I was told by an expert welder the only safe way to weld on a used tank is to fill it with water, then weld.

Better idea might be to drill 5 small holes in the new lock ring and tank, then attach with machine screws and the little nylock nuts. Many medium duty trucks have the sender float installed this way, except the inside of the tank has a thicker ring attached to the inside for the machine screw threads.

How about a picture of this tank?
I wasnt thinking welding, but Ill send a picture of two tanks, 1 thats been outside and hasnt rusted(no idea how) and mine. Both have no ;lock ring. The set that I mentioned for plastic tanks is a plastic retainer that you screw in that holds pressure around a sending unit for a late 90s gm car. Same lock ring system, but the material is different. Id imagine steel you need a different system.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I forgot to take a photo of the other tank. Welp. Here's mine