Lifter identification and timing setting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Lol. My microwave scrambled eggs came out grey. Sausage is hard as a rock. I burnt my toast, and there is no milk. I did get to listen to some Jethro though. I'm going back to bed to start this one over later....

And no, it's not relevant. I just felt the need to complain.... Lol
You’ve let drivel interfere with your breakfast :Nonono:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
hopefully when you pulled the lifters out you kept them in order so you can put them in the same place they came out of. the lifter mates to the cam lobe.

I've had hydraulic lifters that wouldn't keep preload because they were bad. sometimes they just keep collapsing.

if I were you I'd get some new lifters at minimum. like others have said, there is a lot of info on setting up your valve train online. If you got a IM gasket set with the rubber things, throw them out and use an appropriate sealant instead. again, there are a lot of videos on sealing up a sbc IM.

good luck

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
hopefully when you pulled the lifters out you kept them in order so you can put them in the same place they came out of. the lifter mates to the cam lobe.

I've had hydraulic lifters that wouldn't keep preload because they were bad. sometimes they just keep collapsing.

if I were you I'd get some new lifters at minimum. like others have said, there is a lot of info on setting up your valve train online. If you got a IM gasket set with the rubber things, throw them out and use an appropriate sealant instead. again, there are a lot of videos on sealing up a sbc IM.

good luck

Yea i got some good sealant, I didnt mess with the lifters, just adjusted the preload, they seem good now

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Yea i got some good sealant, I didnt mess with the lifters, just adjusted the preload, they seem good now
good deal. I take it you only removed the one to look at it then?

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You’ve let drivel interfere with your breakfast :Nonono:
Eh, I think I was just looking for an excuse to go back to bed. No one else was up around here. Wine replaced the milk rather nicely too.... Lol

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
wow nice! did you bring a straight edge to check it? I bought one I thought was a screaming deal, turns out it was warped. learned a $40 lesson, not too bad.

if you're moving your distributor, you should get a timing light, too.

Yea it checks out nice, and for now I'm just going to eyeball the timing, may get a light if I can't get it to run decent

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
If it ran good why would you have taken it apart? This is gonna seem harsh but ...... if it ran good and you evidently aren’t real familiar with the inner workings of an engine why put your self in a situation where as you won’t have a vehicle? Doing research, planning and learning would have been the proper measures taken before tearing into something that you don’t really know how to put back together. And asking a 101 questions about stuff that is in even the most pathetic work shop book (Haines manuals) will get you ignored by most. Go get a book read it learn it then attack. Not knowing is not an excuse. Information is everywhere, you just have to be willing to look for it.
Lighten up Donkey ****. :happy175: :happy175:... Go back and read post #5.. Young Jedi warrior has a plan and the force is with him..:driver:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue