Lifter identification and timing setting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Took my intake off to do a gasket change, notised my lifters were all out of wack. Some are set with 0 lash like a hydraulic, some have tons of play like a solid. Not sure which I have to reset the lash. I tried compressing the center of a lifter in a vice with a bolt, couldn't do it. Tried tightening rocker to compress lifter, but it opened the valve before it moved the lifter down. I need to get my motor back together asap and need to know what to set the lash at. Also i don't have a timing light but pulled out the distributor lol .I know, im a *******. Wondering how screwed id be trying to put it back in based on photos i have. I don't want to rotate motor to top desd center, so i didn't mess with the distributor at all, my theory is i can drop it back in and get the teeth lined up right. I hope that works, thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hudraulic. Did you keep track of which were loose? Its possible that you have rocker studs pulling out. Or, cam lobes wearing down...

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Hudraulic. Did you keep track of which were loose? Its possible that you have rocker studs pulling out. Or, cam lobes wearing down...

Lol everything here is factory, its very possible the whole motor is coming apart, I just want to do my best to postpone it while everything's apart. What makes you say hydraulic so fast? Just so i can understand better

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If the compression’s still good, I don’t think it’s the end of the world. If you find that you have serious cam or lifter issues, you could get one of those Comp complete kits that come with everything cam related plus the timing set.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
If the compression’s still good, I don’t think it’s the end of the world. If you find that you have serious cam or lifter issues, you could get one of those Comp complete kits that come with everything cam related plus the timing set.
Yea im not worried lol, motor ran fine before i tore into it

Anyone know how to tell if its solid or hydraulic by looking? And if i can just eyeball the timing?

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Lol everything here is factory, its very possible the whole motor is coming apart, I just want to do my best to postpone it while everything's apart. What makes you say hydraulic so fast? Just so i can understand better
Ithink every solid one I've seen have more like a "C" clip holding the guts in the lifter. Hydraulics have that cheesy box looking retainer.

Plus, if you had zero lash with a mechanical (like you said some were) you would have valves open, causing a miss or rough run. Having loose hydraulics would be just noisy (and maybe lack a little power)

Just a guess on my part though- disclaimer- I could be wrong! Anyone else have input?

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I agree. Something like that, I'd write down just to check if its an ongoing issue. Easy fix like you say though....

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Ithink every solid one I've seen have more like a "C" clip holding the guts in the lifter. Hydraulics have that cheesy box looking retainer.

Plus, if you had zero lash with a mechanical (like you said some were) you would have valves open, causing a miss or rough run. Having loose hydraulics would be just noisy (and maybe lack a little power)

Just a guess on my part though- disclaimer- I could be wrong! Anyone else have input?

Yea lol I would understand lack of power(its a dog) but it seems to run really well

I just need to get this thing slapped back together tomorrow to drive it to school Monday lol

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Yea im not worried lol, motor ran fine before i tore into it

Anyone know how to tell if its solid or hydraulic by looking? And if i can just eyeball the timing?
Yea lol I would understand lack of power(its a dog) but it seems to run really well

I just need to get this thing slapped back together tomorrow to drive it to school Monday lol
If it ran good why would you have taken it apart? This is gonna seem harsh but ...... if it ran good and you evidently aren’t real familiar with the inner workings of an engine why put your self in a situation where as you won’t have a vehicle? Doing research, planning and learning would have been the proper measures taken before tearing into something that you don’t really know how to put back together. And asking a 101 questions about stuff that is in even the most pathetic work shop book (Haines manuals) will get you ignored by most. Go get a book read it learn it then attack. Not knowing is not an excuse. Information is everywhere, you just have to be willing to look for it.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
If it ran good why would you have taken it apart? This is gonna seem harsh but ...... if it ran good and you evidently aren’t real familiar with the inner workings of an engine why put your self in a situation where as you won’t have a vehicle? Doing research, planning and learning would have been the proper measures taken before tearing into something that you don’t really know how to put back together. And asking a 101 questions about stuff that is in even the most pathetic work shop book (Haines manuals) will get you ignored by most. Go get a book read it learn it then attack. Not knowing is not an excuse. Information is everywhere, you just have to be willing to look for it.

Yea I wish I hadn't now, but my dads been on my ass to fix the leak from the back of the manifold and I didn't really have a choice on weather or not to do this this weekend

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
There’s no fun in that lol
Lol. My microwave scrambled eggs came out grey. Sausage is hard as a rock. I burnt my toast, and there is no milk. I did get to listen to some Jethro though. I'm going back to bed to start this one over later....

And no, it's not relevant. I just felt the need to complain.... Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garrettkeith