Letters stamped on the underside sbc350 pistons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What do these mean? Looks like xj and xg what do these mean I see the rod caps have notches 1-8 but how do I no the rod caps are on the right rod/pistons are the Pistons or rods marked anywhere? It's a 74 350 2 bolt.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Rod and caps are numbered 1-8 stamped on one side from the factory, if they are not they need to be stamped before disassembly, I've never seen any that weren't though..

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Rod and caps are numbered 1-8 stamped on one side from the factory, if they are not they need to be stamped before disassembly, I've never seen any that weren't though..

You must be registered for see images attach

Apparently a reman engine might not have the rods stamped. A buddy took apart a reman 350 and had everything sitting in place in his garage, then one day his dad threw everything in one box. It's anyone's guess what parts came from what hole. The reman company also had ground the casting numbers off the heads.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, lot of those "fleet rebuilders" are good for that, they just throw parts together as long as it turns over it's good to go, not good..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigjump73