Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Isaac nickerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 L
Hey guys, probably a pretty stupid question, but I'm young and don't know a ton about engines Lol. My SBC 350's
You must be registered for see images attach
passenger side head underneath the alternator currently looks to be leaking. There are no drips only moisture. I was just wondering if I pull the valve covers if I would be able to retorque the head bolts to tighten down the head gasket. Or would I need to pull anything else? Any thoughts appreciated. Here is a pic.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Hey guys, probably a pretty stupid question, but I'm young and don't know a ton about engines Lol. My SBC 350's
You must be registered for see images attach
passenger side head underneath the alternator currently looks to be leaking. There are no drips only moisture. I was just wondering if I pull the valve covers if I would be able to retorque the head bolts to tighten down the head gasket. Or would I need to pull anything else? Any thoughts appreciated. Here is a pic.

Its very unlikely that is oil from a loose head. You most likely are leaking oil from the intake manifold seal at the front. Its very common to have leaks there. I would pull the intake and clean replace the entire intake manifold gasket set. Place a small amount of RTV at each of the 4 corners where the front and rear gaskets meet the intake manifold gaskets.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
When you are looking at oil leaks(or just leaks in general), always trace it UP as high as you can go... gravity will have pulled it down from the point of the actual leak

Isaac nickerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 L
Thanks guys. I was wondering if it could naybe be the intake. It just looked like it was seeping out of the head. But considering like the whole front of the intake is slowly leaking I guess it could be that. But still out of curiosity is it possible to tighten the heads with the valve covers off?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Thanks guys. I was wondering if it could naybe be the intake. It just looked like it was seeping out of the head. But considering like the whole front of the intake is slowly leaking I guess it could be that. But still out of curiosity is it possible to tighten the heads with the valve covers off?

Yes, I would maybe set a torque wrench a bit below expected torque and just verify none are loose, but if the head was actually loose, you wouldn't have an oil leak to the outside. You would have coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant. Or possibly just low compression.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Only the outer head bolts that aren't covered by the valve covers. But, that doesn't gain you anything. If you have to torque a head, you have to do it in a sequence and torque progressively to spec.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
But follow the proper sequence, and TBH I wouldn't mess with it

Isaac nickerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Isaac
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.7 L
Don't see any oil mixed with coolant and vice versa so Im guessing it's like you said: an intake manifold leak. I appreciate you're help guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia