Leaf springs - long bed vs. short bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silveradocustom

Reaction score
First Name
-
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
My '83 C10 is a long bed to short bed conversion. I am considering removing a leaf or 2 to improve ride quality. What are your thoughts? Also, is there any difference between stock long bed leaf spring setup and stock short bed leaf spring setup? Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Keep in mind that you'll also lower ride height when you remove the leaves. Also, the more you remove the "bouncer" it'll get. Just food for thought.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
My '83 C10 is a long bed to short bed conversion. I am considering removing a leaf or 2 to improve ride quality. What are your thoughts? Also, is there any difference between stock long bed leaf spring setup and stock short bed leaf spring setup? Any and all feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

No difference between long bed and short bed rear springs.

However, there was a HD rear leaf spring option G50 for 1/2 tons. The HD spring was 4" longer than the standard spring (front spring hanger was in the same location, rear sping hanger was moved rearward to accommodate the longer spring).

K

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
They are 52" and 56" lengths.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Last edited:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

What exactly do you mean by "improve ride quality" and what do you feel is wrong with the ride quality with your present setup?

Is the truck overly "bouncy" on rough surfaces or do you feel that it doesn't handle (i.e. hug the road) properly when cornering?

If what concerns you is the bounce factor, the issue is more likely related to shocks than springs.

Springs cushion the ride of a vehicle. They flex (compress) to absorb the impact on the wheels/axle created by irregularities in the road surface.

Because a compressed spring will extend back to its uncompressed position in a violent fashion, shock absorbers are included in a vehicle's suspension system. Their purpose is to dampen the intensity of the spring’s compression and extension cycles. Without any dampening effect, a spring’s violent compression and extension would cause a vehicle to lose control on a rough road surface.

As a shock absorber's rebound control deteriorates due to normal wear, the vehicle will begin to experience poor ride, steering response and handling control. In addition, tire wear will be accelerated due to tire scuff caused by the suspension geometry operating out of its normal range. This is why shock/strut manufacturers are adamant about the regular inspection and replacement of worn units.

It's a lot easier to R & R shocks than it is to remove leafs from a spring stack. Maybe consider installing new shocks before you commit to modifying your springs?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
If you go to a leaf spring supplier they will list multiple rear springs for your truck, with different load capacities. For example, on my '75 K25 truck the spring ratings vary from 2150 lbs to 2775 lbs per spring, or 4300 to 5550 lbs rear load rating. However, if I swapped in the lowest rated 1/2 ton spring I could get one as low as 1290 lbs per spring.

If you still have the GVW plate for your truck it will list a rear GVW rating, which then tells you the current spring rating. You should be able to swap in a complete lower rated spring without too much work.

Also keep in mind the comments about shock absorbers. They are much easier to swap, and will stop any bouncing, if that is your problem.

There are also factory and after-market front and rear anti-sway bars for these trucks; however, the rear bar is very uncommon unless you have a Camper Special or some other HD option. They should also help improve handling.

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man