Lazy thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Was wondering if anyone had ever had temp climb to 210 or above before opening and cooling right down? I replaced mine with a 160 about a year ago and it hasn’t been driven much, maybe 1000-1200 miles. Radiator is a brand new Cold Case aluminum.

The temp sensor is in the intake manifold since the old camelhump heads don’t have a provision for it (that I can find). It doesn’t overheat, just warms up, then appears to open and be fine. It could have been doing that all along but wouldn’t have noticed it since it was heating up with the old original radiator.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes. I once had one that would get up to just a tick over 200 for the first cycle of the day, then drop right down to 180 for the rest of the day (it was a 180 stat). It did that for a couple years. I replaced it with a new stat that stuck open after a couple days, so in a fit of rage, I put the old stat back in and it continued to work exactly as it did before, for several more years. Despite the once a day heat spike, it was a dead nuts reliable thermostat. Reliable thermostats are hard to find these days.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes. I once had one that would get up to just a tick over 200 for the first cycle of the day, then drop right down to 180 for the rest of the day (it was a 180 stat). It did that for a couple years. I replaced it with a new stat that stuck open after a couple days, so in a fit of rage, I put the old stat back in and it continued to work exactly as it did before, for several more years. Despite the once a day heat spike, it was a dead nuts reliable thermostat. Reliable thermostats are hard to find these days.
Thanks bud. I’ll just watch it and roll for now.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Mine does that, two different thermostats. I assumed it was the gauge/related wiring issue. Both of mine have been reliable in the summer as well. Never overheated with the cheap spectra rads.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Reckon what happens if!

If you turn her on cold , pop the hood and take the rad cap off so you can watch the thermostat open in the radiator?
Maybe you can tell us
what is it looking like?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef