lateral traction bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Well...finally finished fabricating and installing my lateral traction bars on my square yesterday. I did a little road testing yesterday with great results. Now that the weather is nice, I could finally mark this project off of my "to do" list.

All I need to do now is make some final adjustments on the lengths and snug up the spherical rod ends (heim joints).

Sorry, no in progress pics, but if there is enough interest I will include a parts list and some basic measurements in case anyone else wants to make their own set. I may need to reinforce the forward mounts on the frame. I also need to clean up the axle mounted brackets in order to remove the sharp edges so I don't gouge myself when underneath the truck.

I have about $70 total in parts invested.

Last edited:

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Looks pretty cool, but you would think the front pivot point should be even with the front leaf spring bolt.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Looks pretty cool, but you would think the front pivot point should be even with the front leaf spring bolt.

I agree. And would add that as the suspension flexes the spring will want to get longer but the bar will prevent the front half of the spring from doing so without rotating the axle. I have seen bars like this done with a shackle of sorts in place on the front to allow for the change in spring length during suspension travel.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I didn't want to mount the bars under the axle. As far as leaf spring length, I took all of the meaurements under load and there is very minimum movement. They do a good job of limiting wheel hop. On my offroad truck...that's another story. I need articulation offroad for rockcrawling. I mounted both of those lateral bars on top of the axle and triangulated them a bit more to allow maximum axle movement while articulating trails.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I didn't want to mount the bars under the axle. As far as leaf spring length, I took all of the meaurements under load and there is very minimum movement. They do a good job of limiting wheel hop. On my offroad truck...that's another story. I need articulation offroad for rockcrawling. I mounted both of those lateral bars on top of the axle and triangulated them a bit more to allow maximum axle movement while articulating trails.

Ahh, sounds good. The ones I built years back were for off road and I also did the same.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I like it. Simple and effective. True, they will cause some binding, but considering the application, that binding will be extremely minimal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1