Kit Truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I was watching some of the weekend auto shows last weekend and one of them did a show on a kit hot rod. The kit was a '33 Ford that was designed from the ground up for performance in addition to looks. The kit was designed by Factory Five and the body is fiberglass. Obviously this isn't a collectable vehicle. That isn't the point. It is designed to be driven and enjoyed.

That brings me to my question. Does anyone know of a company that does something like this for older pickups? I don't necessarily care if it is designed to be a performance machine. I would love to find something like that in like a 55 Chev pickup. Fiberglass body works for me because it isn't something I would use as a pickup. Maybe it sounds stupid to some but I think having a kit to assemble that is designed to work together would be a fun project as opposed to trying to build something like that with the constraints of parts availability and repair of previous damage. I think it would be a blast to build something like that and not be overly afraid to drive it on a regular basis for fear of having it dinged or damaged in a parking lot. Anyway, anyone know of anyone who sells a kit for something like that?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Fibreglass bodies suck ass so much. Its so hard to maintain them and keep them looking good and the prep work.. my god.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
and instead of dings and dents, you get cracks.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I was watching some of the weekend auto shows last weekend and one of them did a show on a kit hot rod. The kit was a '33 Ford that was designed from the ground up for performance in addition to looks. The kit was designed by Factory Five and the body is fiberglass. Obviously this isn't a collectable vehicle. That isn't the point. It is designed to be driven and enjoyed.

That brings me to my question. Does anyone know of a company that does something like this for older pickups? I don't necessarily care if it is designed to be a performance machine. I would love to find something like that in like a 55 Chev pickup. Fiberglass body works for me because it isn't something I would use as a pickup. Maybe it sounds stupid to some but I think having a kit to assemble that is designed to work together would be a fun project as opposed to trying to build something like that with the constraints of parts availability and repair of previous damage. I think it would be a blast to build something like that and not be overly afraid to drive it on a regular basis for fear of having it dinged or damaged in a parking lot. Anyway, anyone know of anyone who sells a kit for something like that?

If I had the time and money I would make a carbonfiber cab for our trucks !

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I'm not saying that fiberglass is superior to metal. The idea is more one of having all the parts actually designed to work together as part of the kit. We've all heard or experienced the wonder to LMC or other companies replacement panels. Having something where you know all the parts will fit together with the kit they ship with would be nice. The carbon fiber idea is cool, but I don't know how practical it would be in a kit setting.

The other nice thing about a kit that is not trying to be a true reproduction is there is flexibility in how it is designed. The 33 Ford I referenced was built a few inches wider to help accommodate the fact the we tend to be spreading out a bit more than they did in the middle of a depression. A kit of a 50's truck could take into account the idea that we are taller now.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I actually think it would be soooo cooool to have a complete carbon fiber cab, panels and box !!!

Carbon fiber is as strong or stronger than metal and does not need to be near as thick as fiber glass to accomplish the same thing.

If you had carbon fiber that was the same thickness as OEM parts it would be far stronger than OEM parts.

This is an awesome idea now I just need an investor LOL

I can just see it now in my minds eye! A clear coated carbon fibre truck bumper to bumper ! That would be way cool !

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You could design in accommodations for different era seats too so that you could just bolt in what ever you wanted

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Rust would be a thing of the past!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I actually think it would be soooo cooool to have a complete carbon fiber cab, panels and box !!!

Carbon fiber is as strong or stronger than metal and does not need to be near as thick as fiber glass to accomplish the same thing.

If you had carbon fiber that was the same thickness as OEM parts it would be far stronger than OEM parts.

This is an awesome idea now I just need an investor LOL

I can just see it now in my minds eye! A clear coated carbon fibre truck bumper to bumper ! That would be way cool !

And it would give every ricer fanboy on the planet an aneurysm instantly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamnTexan77