K20 wheel studs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Currently have this style lugnut:
You must be registered for see images attach

Maybe I just need different style lug nuts to keep the aluminum wheels that are currently on it......I think the wheels were on a 06' 2500 HD that I bought them off of and the lug nuts came with it. Well, still need 1 wheel also since one wheel is ruined. But anyways, that's getting away from the main point, I need to get studs and replace first.

yeah you need something more like this.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
If you have the shank lugnut that sink into the alum wheels it allows the nut to contact more threads and not be an issue, the issue of not enough threads doent apply when using stock OE wheels.

I use different lug nuts for both sets of wheels. Who wouldn't?

Still, never an issue with studs.

I don't baby it in rocks, mud, or even on pavement. I know rock bouncers running stock studs.

How many times have you heard- damn my stock lug studs broke?

Unless you require a longer stud for a disc brake conversion, stock is fine.

My 9/16-18 studs have NEVER broke, or left me stranded on a trail.

Shank or not, you still wont break them. Lol, just run the proper lug nuts, and all will be fine.

Last edited:

Sonders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I completely agree Arkansas V8. My fault for assuming the wheels would fit correctly with the lug nuts that I got with the wheels when I purchased them.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I completely agree Arkansas V8. My fault for assuming the wheels would fit correctly with the lug nuts that I got with the wheels when I purchased them.

We all make mistakes man. I was just saying, you dont need anything special.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

If you got the wheels from a newer truck you shouldnt have been able to use those lugnuts as they are metric threaded where as your truck is standard.

if your remaining studs are damaged or you dont want to deal with this ever again get the longer studs.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've never had troubles running aluminum wheels on 8-lug trucks, the stock studs are fine. It's really only the K10's that have studs that are too short.

Oh, and shank style lug nuts can only be used with wheels designed for the shank style. Those were generally the old slotted mags and the hurricanes, as far as truck wheels go.

Sonders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you got the wheels from a newer truck you shouldnt have been able to use those lugnuts as they are metric threaded where as your truck is standard.

The more I think about it actually I didn't use those lug nuts; I used the same ones I took off the truck that the steelies were bolted up with.

Dang, I'm checking online of all the parts places around me and there just isn't hardly info listed for the wheel studs. Advance Auto is the only place that has some detail and I believe they are the correct ones, but of course out of stock. I'm going to have a hell of a time when I go to start restoring this truck if I can't even pick out correct wheel studs.:banghead:

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I replaced all 16 on the rear of my k20 and 5 or so of the fronts when I did brakes all the way around. Rock auto had the best price by far. $1.97/each. Local places wanted like $6/each and they only had 1 or 2 in stock at a time.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Wheel studs for a V20, pretty sure you use the same.

I did all 32 recently.

Fronts I did with everything together, they fit through the slots in the rotors.

Not sure if you have 9.5" or 10.5" rear. Here is both.

Says no store pickup, but my local store had them all next day.

Last edited:

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
I replaced all 16 on the rear of my k20 and 5 or so of the fronts when I did brakes all the way around. Rock auto had the best price by far. $1.97/each. Local places wanted like $6/each and they only had 1 or 2 in stock at a time.

Thats alot. I paid same local, cept for the 10.5" rear studs.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
At some point, 1988+?, the studs joined the metric system. Take one out and match it up at a local parts store. You can always get longer studs if needed once you have the proper size.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
At some point, 1988+?, the studs joined the metric system. Take one out and match it up at a local parts store. You can always get longer studs if needed once you have the proper size.

Suburban, 1 tons, Blazers all kept 9/16-18 lug nuts till 91.

Sonders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Arkansas V8 where are you looking at them at online? I ended up finding them at local parts store after all lastnight. Online showed them not having any, but they had 3. I grabbed those 3 and they ordered the other 5 for me. I was looking at them on Rock Auto's site and had the ones picked out that matched my truck, but when I read the description it said they were LH thread. I was like wtf and stopped there.

Arkansas_V8

Proud Redneck
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20 Suburban
Engine Size
Arkansas V8 where are you looking at them at online? I ended up finding them at local parts store after all lastnight. Online showed them not having any, but they had 3. I grabbed those 3 and they ordered the other 5 for me. I was looking at them on Rock Auto's site and had the ones picked out that matched my truck, but when I read the description it said they were LH thread. I was like wtf and stopped there.

That Is Autozone. My local one got all 32 for me next day.

Sonders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I should be good now. I just need to order some new lug nuts and then figure out what I'm going to do for wheels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1