k10 4x4 tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-BONE78^

Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My transmission went out in my truck and I'm wondering what would be better to put in a TH350,TH400 (buy a cone to put my t-case on) or a 700r4. i don't know a whole lot about transmissions. i have a brand new crate 350 in it. just need some help on what kinda of transmission to get. -Thanks

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It depends on what you're doing. Traditionally, you'd probably be okay with a TH350 if you're just dropping a crate motor in, and that's probably what the truck came with. That or a manual. The TH400 is extremely strong but overkill, in my opinion, especially if you don't plan to throw performance parts on or in the engine. The 700R4 would allow the truck to run on the highway at more modernish automobile RPMs, and you'd get better fuel economy. The only caveat here is that if you're just gonna go out and buy one of them, you're best off to get one that's newer than 1987 and the newest one you can find. They have electronically controlled torque converter lockup so I'm guessing to put them in a truck that didn't come with lockup, you'd have to get a lockup controller, and it'd be a good idea to beef the transmission up some because a lot of people consider them mediocre in durability and longevity positively correlated with the strength of the powerplant. So the bottom line is a pre-lockup TH350 to just throw in and be done with it (which should sufficiently handle your engine), a TH400 if you plan to build the engine or upgrade it down the road, or a 700R4 for good highway performance while understanding that newer units are made much better than the earlier ones, and that if you were going to go with that choice, you'd have to establish a way for the TCC lockup to work.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A lot also depends on if you are willing to swap transfer cases and/or modifying driveshaft lengths. Personally, I'd just keep it simple and stick with a TH350. BTW, yours would have the very short output shaft, unlike the '81 and newer that have a longer output... assuming it's still stock with an np203 t-case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
referrich