Just wee bit fustrated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I'd be getting rid of that plastic filter myslf..

Croc1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
So last night after stopping at gas station it almost didn't start but waited 10 min and it just caught and started up.
I noticed on the way to work this morning the voltmeter was all over the place would hover in the middle work down then spike up about 3/4 up gauge.
It dropped significantly and would go up once heater or wipers were on.
Is that normal for that to behave like That?

Croc1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
This nut is tight on the alternator but the stud itself is loose part of problem?

You must be registered for see images attach

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
So last night after stopping at gas station it almost didn't start but waited 10 min and it just caught and started up.
I noticed on the way to work this morning the voltmeter was all over the place would hover in the middle work down then spike up about 3/4 up gauge.
It dropped significantly and would go up once heater or wipers were on.
Is that normal for that to behave like That?

sounds like a lose or bad ground. Check grounds from Battery to engine/frame and body to frame.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
This nut is tight on the alternator but the stud itself is loose part of problem?

I'd have to say so. Run it have some one looking at the gage while you wiggle the stud.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size

can be if the stud is spinning it could be not providing contact to charge the battery, as i mentioned in the post above also check your grounds.

Croc1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Problem is sort of solved. I looked for the grpunds to engine and the pass side fire wall one isnt connected and the alternator i hooked a bungie cord under the stud to keep tension on it(will take it apart and see why its loose) and the drop and spikes on gauge stopped. But things are sort of at a halt. I had a slight oil leak that turned into a quart of oil every 120km. Starters soaked distributer base soaked there's oil everywhere(not under the inspection cover on bellhousing) I'm thinking intake leak/oil sending unit/dizzy gasket
I'll post that stuff in the appropriate section though

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Amazing how helpful people are on this site.
GMSB is sooo underrated...

Croc1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
Cleaned up oil best I could let it run for 10 min couldn't see anything obvious (dizzy and oil sending unit stayed dry). Front of intake appears to be weeping so maybe the back is? but I'm going to fill my trusty weed slayer with diesel tomorrow soak it down scrub and rinse it off start over

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Cleaned up oil best I could let it run for 10 min couldn't see anything obvious (dizzy and oil sending unit stayed dry). Front of intake appears to be weeping so maybe the back is? but I'm going to fill my trusty weed slayer with diesel tomorrow soak it down scrub and rinse it off start over
Sounds like the lower intake gasket is leaking. Very common on this type "cradle" looking engine both GM & Ford. not too bad to do as far as difficulty.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

One more than a couple occasions, I've had oil sending units intermittently leak badly. It seems odd, but it is a possibility.

Croc1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I soaked it down pretty good gotta hit it again. I'm once cleaned up I'm going to take a better look at the rear main I'm not convinced it's not the culprit anymore.
My advice when doing this is take the battery right out. Common sense but I didnt think and had a little kaboom.

Croc1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I finally got around to fixing that alternator. Took it apart and the stud had stripped the plastic bushing and loosened the nut on the inside of alternator. So I just cleaned it up and put a wrench and socket on it and lock tight and tightened it. Looks ok doesn't wiggle anymore.
Sorry for such the time difference

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I finally got around to fixing that alternator. Took it apart and the stud had stripped the plastic bushing and loosened the nut on the inside of alternator. So I just cleaned it up and put a wrench and socket on it and lock tight and tightened it. Looks ok doesn't wiggle anymore.
Sorry for such the time difference

Looks like it was arcing a bit. Arcing creates a lot of amp draw. I’d find a new voltage regulator so there is no surprises in your future. I guess it wouldn’t be a surprise at this point though lol. Good job for investigating and repairing then just stabbing some half assed reman part on it that won’t last 6 months.

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
I 2nd that, plus you already have it opened. They don't cost much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue