is this normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Many people including myself like to skip the rubber end gaskets and run a 1/4 inch bead of rtv instead. The rubber gaskets can push out.

While you're torquing or after its set? Dont make me worried man lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
While you're torquing or after its set? Dont make me worried man lol

They just can push out over time. Not always, just sometimes. A proper working pcv system should keep it from happening. Unless there's a lot of blow-by.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
They just can push out over time. Not always, just sometimes. A proper working pcv system should keep it from happening. Unless there's a lot of blow-by.

Got ya. I should be alright, and if it fails then I'll know what not to do for next time as I talk the Mrs into some expensive swap.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Many people including myself like to skip the rubber end gaskets and run a 1/4 inch bead of rtv instead. The rubber gaskets can push out.

I used to use the gaskets but started using ultra black rtv a few years ago due to the adjustability of it. Even using the gaskets and rtv on the corners a leak can develop. But a nice bead of rtv will fill the gaps. A coworker told me about taking a chisel and making a small line along the middle of the back of the block to give the rtv something to bite into, helping it to stay put. I have only done that to the block in my '81 because the GM Performance vortec intake doesn't follow the bend-pattern on the back of the block like it should. The line in the block seemed to help...no leaks.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Doing the intake gaskets and noticed the distributor cap. Do you replace the coil on top too? I'm assuming its wore out

You must be registered for see images attach
That is a sign of bad spark plug wires and or bad plugs.
The resistance is backing up the voltage in the form of heat and too much spark jumping around in the cap.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
The Right Stuff by Permatex.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I used to use the gaskets but started using ultra black rtv a few years ago due to the adjustability of it. Even using the gaskets and rtv on the corners a leak can develop. But a nice bead of rtv will fill the gaps. A coworker told me about taking a chisel and making a small line along the middle of the back of the block to give the rtv something to bite into, helping it to stay put. I have only done that to the block in my '81 because the GM Performance vortec intake doesn't follow the bend-pattern on the back of the block like it should. The line in the block seemed to help...no leaks.

The earlier small blocks actually had a few small holes drilled and the end gaskets had little pegs that went into those holes. I don't know when they quit doing that.

Croc1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
That's what my truck has going on. Its an 83 but motor was swapped with a 350 from a 70's chevelle i was told.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx