Is this a factory steering box k5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
G Body Saginaw box? Good point here.

The XJ intermediate steering shaft swap gets rid of that crappy rag joint and replaces it with a universal joint. It uses the same column 'D' end and Saginaw splined end as the Jeep. It's very easy. You just get a shaft from the junkyard, heat it up to compress it, lengthen it while it's still warm so it fits properly, and bolt it in. The years you want are 1984-96, I believe, and no Grand Cherokee shafts. It works on for sure on 1979 and later squares; GMT400s through '96; and B, G, F Bodies. I feel like there was something else, but I'm too tired to recall at the moment.
I put a Grand Cherokee box in my Chevelle. they are quick ratio kinda like the ZQ8 S10 stuff. But for a 4x4 it won’t work unless your gonna do cross over steering.

theramb99

Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
G Body Saginaw box? Good point here.

The XJ intermediate steering shaft swap gets rid of that crappy rag joint and replaces it with a universal joint. It uses the same column 'D' end and Saginaw splined end as the Jeep. It's very easy. You just get a shaft from the junkyard, heat it up to compress it, lengthen it while it's still warm so it fits properly, and bolt it in. The years you want are 1984-96, I believe, and no Grand Cherokee shafts. It works on for sure on 1979 and later squares; GMT400s through '96; and B, G, F Bodies. I feel like there was something else, but I'm too tired to recall at the moment.

Hi all, I had found this on YouTube a while back and want to do the same with my Blazer, just haven gotten around to it yet. Here is the link

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

This is from the link, what the guy had to say about doing the swap.

READ THIS DESCRIPTION! I am not a professional mechanic or engineer. You modify your vehicle at your own risk! Modifying your truck could be dangerous if done incorrectly. 1973-1987 Chevy and GM trucks and 1973-1991 crewcabs, blazers, and suburbans came with a steering shaft that uses a rag joint. Over time the steering shaft gets sloppy and makes the steering loose. The steering shaft from a late 80's through mid 90's Jeep Cherokee (around 1984-1996) can be retrofitted to tighten up the steering. Steering shafts from GRAND Cherokees will not work. This swap can work for all square body GM trucks but the older trucks will have to change their steering column to the later style. If you have a later truck, the swap is almost drop in. Around 1981 GM changed the steering column shaft to the "Double D" style that is needed in order for the Jeep steering shaft to work. Before around 1981 the end of the steering column shaft is splined and is not a direct fit with the Jeep Cherokee steering shaft. Be sure to check your steering column shaft style. The steering box splines should be the same on all year square body trucks. Junk/salvage yards and ebay are good places to look for these steering shafts. There are a few different styles of Jeep Cherokee XJ shafts but the differences are minor and they all seem to work. Here is just one of many good threads on this modification

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I put a Grand Cherokee box in my Chevelle. they are quick ratio kinda like the ZQ8 S10 stuff. But for a 4x4 it won’t work unless your gonna do cross over steering.

Same as the Iroc/Z28 boxes too. It's just minor differences in steering stop points between the different variations. And I think the Grand Cherokee box has a little more assist.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh, and they won't work on even 2wd squares. They mount to the wrong side of the frame rail.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Same as the Iroc/Z28 boxes too. It's just minor differences in steering stop points between the different variations. And I think the Grand Cherokee box has a little more assist.
All I know is it did wonders on the Chevelle and $25 for the box was awsome too lol

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Whatever.

Hey I think that's where I got the 12.5 # from. Pritty chure the quick ratio Z box is 12.5:1? I know for a fact that it'll remove 90° from lock to lock over the 8:1 ratio box.
Which I reckon makes pritty gud sens ! :confused:

You can buy them over the counter with a lifetime at the store but you gotta axe for the rite thang.

Me K5 was recently replaced before I got it and it made me kind of sad. My "mystery ratio" box leaves some to be desired, i'm sure.

I think it came from the Zone and it's safe to assume that I would have done it differently. :)

Whatever. Runnin freakin GREAT today.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Whatever.

Hey I think that's where I got the 12.5 # from. Pritty chure the quick ratio Z box is 12.5:1? I know for a fact that it'll remove 90° from lock to lock over the 8:1 ratio box.
Which I reckon makes pritty gud sens ! :confused:

You can buy them over the counter with a lifetime at the store but you gotta axe for the rite thang.

Me K5 was recently replaced before I got it and it made me kind of sad. My "mystery ratio" box leaves some to be desired, i'm sure.

I think it came from the Zone and it's safe to assume that I would have done it differently. :)

Whatever. Runnin freakin GREAT today.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.hotrod.com/articles/jeep-grand-cherokee-steering-box-swap/amp/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Twistedwhisky