Is Crossover steering worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just curious of all the hype. Is crossover steering worth it?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Depends on your uses and goals. For a mostly steet driver with 6" lift or less, probably not. Unless you already have a D60 (for ease of mounting a right side steering arm) and need to replace the steering box anyway. Then it's a worthy upgrade even if not "needed".

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I'm not a huge fan of the bump steer with a 4inch suspension lift and 35's or even with my old 33's for that matter. Maybe with better springs it's not as bad.

Like bucket said, it can get spendy, once you factor in knuckles(1/2-3/4ton) steering box, and the actual crossover kit. Im going to be doing crossover for sure.

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
This is a post from Stephen Watson owner of Offroad Design.

“One thing to check with a factory type steering system is that the swaybar isn't messing with you. If you're running steering correction pieces (like a drop pitman arm) you need disconnects for the swaybar to let it pivot freely and not bind up the axle, or rather not force the axle to move in an arc different from the steering linkage. My burb with 3" TCIs and a drop pitman was amazingly nice to drive, one of the best non-linked steering systems we've had. It had disconnects for sure.

With crossover, you do have bumpsteer. Period. You may not feel it due to a bunch of other factors but it's there. If the axle moves up the steering arm gets closer to the pitman arm and something has to move, either the steering wheel whips a bit or the tires turn. The way a panhard bar makes this disappear is not that it prevents the axle from moving side to side, it's that it FORCES the axle to move side to side in the same arc as the draglink. Just like a panhard/draglink system does on a linked up front suspension. The problem is that leaves only like to move side to side a little and the panhard can force them to move a lot so it's generally hard on bushings and even on frame mounts. But they do drive nice. I did the leaves with panhard for a while on my way to coilovers.

Ways to minimize bumpsteer with leaves? Make the draglink as flat as possible or make the suspension move less. It's pretty hard to tune much on the draglink angle and nobody wants the suspension to have less travel so it's a bit of a dead end. But in general it's not that bad and the fact that it actually steers offroad is typically worth it. With a tall truck (8" lift +) we consider crossover a must even on the street. With a short truck and mostly street driving we often work with the factory system. Incidently this is also part of the reason we don't get super excited about building extreme long travel leaf spring front suspensions. If you're going to go fast enough to use the travel you're going to fight the steering.”

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I like cross over steering when you need it. And it can be done w/minimal bump steer.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
That's the main issue with factory steering. They just don't like big tires in ruts. Or bound up in an obstacle. You can't turn. Crossover steering gives you more leverage to turn.

This could be solved most likely with a hydro assist ram. But that's also getting high up in the budget. But even with crossover, once you get big enough tires you'll need at least hydro assist to go wheeling properly.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I know if you know where yo drill you can drill and tap a Saginaw box fir Hydraulic assist and make it yourself for cheap. I know first hand it can be done. And some gm rigs turned more than others. I think you want ASTRO shaft to get the most throw.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Right, the loss of steering angle while the truck is twisted up isn't a result of the push-pull steering, but because of the very short drag link associated with the push-pull steering. Crossover steering takes care of that because it can utilize a much longer drag link.

In stock configuration, if the angle of the drag link matches the angle of the leaf spring (the forward half) then it will drive perfectly nice for probably 90% of users. But if you want the ability to turn the wheels fully in both directions while really flexing the truck out off the road, then crossover is a good investment.

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Depends on your uses and goals. For a mostly steet driver with 6" lift or less, probably not. Unless you already have a D60 (for ease of mounting a right side steering arm) and need to replace the steering box anyway. Then it's a worthy upgrade even if not "needed".
It's a 6 inch lift with 35s on it. It's pretty loose on the road. I spoke with Offroad Design and my local mechanic that has done this and they both said it would make a huge difference. With the Red Head steering box, Borgeson steering shaft upgrade, Reid Knuckle and new ball joints on the drivers side as well. Tie rod is new so it would pretty much be a new front suspension. New rotors bearings and races and brake pads. Offroad Design also recommended the steering brace they sell that goes from the frame to the cross member as well as welding in the frame plate where the steering box bolts on. Little pricey I know. Just wanted to see what you guys thought about it. Thanks so much.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's a 6 inch lift with 35s on it. It's pretty loose on the road. I spoke with Offroad Design and my local mechanic that has done this and they both said it would make a huge difference. With the Red Head steering box, Borgeson steering shaft upgrade, Reid Knuckle and new ball joints on the drivers side as well. Tie rod is new so it would pretty much be a new front suspension. New rotors bearings and races and brake pads. Offroad Design also recommended the steering brace they sell that goes from the frame to the cross member as well as welding in the frame plate where the steering box bolts on. Little pricey I know. Just wanted to see what you guys thought about it. Thanks so much.

If the front end is loose and could stand a rebuild anyway, then you are still half that cost or more, fixing it up with stock parts. If you think you will benefit from crossover, then now is definitely the time to do it.

The "huge difference" depends on what you are starting with though, and where you drive. If you are driving around with loose joints and a poor alignment, then yeah it will definitely be a huge difference.

Even if you don't happen to go with crossover steering, the steering box brace and weld-in frame plate is still a very good idea.

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If the front end is loose and could stand a rebuild anyway, then you are still half that cost or more, fixing it up with stock parts. If you think you will benefit from crossover, then now is definitely the time to do it.

The "huge difference" depends on what you are starting with though, and where you drive. If you are driving around with loose joints and a poor alignment, then yeah it will definitely be a huge difference.

Even if you don't happen to go with crossover steering, the steering box brace and weld-in frame plate is still a very good idea.
Copy. Great advice much appreciated.

Zelph

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 TBI
Replace the rag joint as well. Stock replacement or a u joint shaft conversion.

JACK34

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
JACK
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just got everything completed. It's like a different truck. Anyone thinking about doing this it's expensive and 100 percent worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue