Instrument cluster lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hardylane23

Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Thanks for letting me into the group. I have an 85 GMC Classic Sierra. My instrument cluster gauges work but the lights will not. Is this normal when the printed circuit board is bad?

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Welcome from Arizona!

Too new a rig for me to be familiar with but from my past work I think it could be your light switch that dims and brightens the dash lamps. Something to check anyway. Good luck!

hardylane23

Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I think I have tried that but I will try it again. Thanks

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Several different things can cause dash lights not to work. Start with the easiest- check the fuse. Check the ground (sidewall by emergency brake). Possibly the headlight pull switch (it rotates to dim dash lights) might be bad or have a loose connection.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Okay instrument lights, power from the parking/ taillight fuse to the headlight switch. Through the dial resistor in the switch back to the fuse panel. Through the 5 amp fuse then to the connector on the instrument panel. Lots of places to loose a connection.

So split up the system like this first: With your test light on a good ground. Turn the lights on and probe the 5 amp fuse. You should have a light on your test light and you can dim it by turning the knob on the headlight switch.

If the light does not light the bad connection is possibly bad at the headlight switch. Also could be bad at the back of the fuse panel. If the test lights up from the first test then you need to check the connection at the instrument panel.

Attachments

• 1701739956060.png
    1701739956060.png
    452.2 KB · Views: 30

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I am trying to get the instrument cluster lights working, some do some don't, anyone have any tricks to getting the individual lamps to work? I am replacing bulbs with LEDs , i am about at 60% working......

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I am trying to get the instrument cluster lights working, some do some don't, anyone have any tricks to getting the individual lamps to work? I am replacing bulbs with LEDs , i am about at 60% working......
Some LED are directional. Can you install the bulbs 180 deg different than currently installed?

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
thanks I will give that a try. but these LEDs are so much brighter I might not need any more .

Rob red

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1008
Engine Size
My truck came to me with literally every bulb burnt out except one of them.

I would check the bulbs as well

Donald vonMinden

Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Check the tail light fuse, sometimes the tail lights interconnect with the dash lights so the driver is alerted when the tail lights are not working........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly