I'm strongly considering going with 3.08's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm about to build a stump-puller big block, and I want to use 3.08 gears so I can just use granny low as first gear, and 4th gear will only turn about 2400 RPM at 70. I know the gap between 2nd and 3rd really sucks, but with the torque curve this engine will have, I think I should be ok. Have any of you tried this and regretted it?

Engine will make 600+ TQ and probably about 450 straight off of idle with a redline around 5500.

SM465, 14bolt FF, D44, 265 75 16

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya you should be ok with that especially since your keeping the smaller tires. That's an enormous amount of power so my concern would be all about the clutch and structural integrity of the SM465 lol. More so the clutch!

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ya you should be ok with that especially since your keeping the smaller tires. That's an enormous amount of power so my concern would be all about the clutch and structural integrity of the SM465 lol. More so the clutch!

I've heard the SM465 is insanely strong. The front axle is what concerns me.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

Ya well everything has a breaking point lol I would see how it goes with the front 10 bolt and be looking for a Dana 60 in the mean time :)

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

I've heard that the SM465 is good to about 450-500 before it will crack under pressure.

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've heard that the SM465 is good to about 450-500 before it will crack under pressure.

I guess i should forego the gear swap and just hold out for an Allison or NV4500 then.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What ever you put behind that much power will have issues! You will have to invest some $ into whatever you put back there.

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What ever you put behind that much power will have issues! You will have to invest some $ into whatever you put back there.

The Duramax makes way more torque than I'm going to make, and in a way heavier truck. The Allison easily goes a hundred thousand miles without problems unless you abuse the **** out of them.

Another option would be to build a 4l80, because those can take pretty much anything I throw at them with even a minor build-up. People run 1000+ HP turbo LSX engines thru those things all day long

With this kind of power band, I won't need 6 gears anyway.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The Duramax makes way more torque than I'm going to make, and in a way heavier truck. The Allison easily goes a hundred thousand miles without problems unless you abuse the **** out of them.

Another option would be to build a 4l80, because those can take pretty much anything I throw at them with even a minor build-up. People run 1000+ HP turbo LSX engines thru those things all day long

With this kind of power band, I won't need 6 gears anyway.

Ya exactly.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
If you put a 6spd Allison in there. You will be the first one on this site to do so that I am aware of. So if you do be sure and post lots of pics and info of your swap! :)

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If you put a 6spd Allison in there. You will be the first one on this site to do so that I am aware of. So if you do be sure and post lots of pics and info of your swap! :)

Is it too large, or what?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Dunno. Never tried

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's hard to break an SM465. And if you do break something, you can more than likely blame it on 30-40 years of abuse and fatigue. Then toss in another cheap and common SM465.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
First gear in a SM465 is not synchronized so you cant really drive it like a 4 speed. I rarely ever used low in my 85 but to get into low I would have to be stopped and hold the clutch long enough to let everything in the transmission slow down so it would go into gear. I dont recall ever trying to go from first gear to low while moving but im pretty sure it would just grind.

rumblebox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carlton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
First gear in a SM465 is not synchronized so you cant really drive it like a 4 speed. I rarely ever used low in my 85 but to get into low I would have to be stopped and hold the clutch long enough to let everything in the transmission slow down so it would go into gear. I dont recall ever trying to go from first gear to low while moving but im pretty sure it would just grind.

It is pretty rough trying to go into L while moving, even if you revmatch. Even going into 1 from 2 without almost coming to a complete stop takes effort. I don't know if that's just a characteristic of this transmission or if the synchro is wearing out.

The more and more I think about this, the more I think it's a bad idea. My plan is to eventually have either an Allison, a 4L80, or in NV4500 in here. All of which would really suck with 3.08 gears, except the NV4500, and i really don't like manuals in trucks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigjump73