im new

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jkjohnson

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
got a 87 r10 silverado, not much of a mechanic but i do what i can right now i have a no click no start problem, thinking fusabl link or maybe the starter solanoid, light come on but thats all its got.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually
Engine Size
got a 87 r10 silverado, not much of a mechanic but i do what i can right now i have a no click no start problem, thinking fusabl link or maybe the starter solanoid, light come on but thats all its got.

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about your issues. Members on herr are awesome and will help you out.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
So... when you turn the key to "ON" you get everything on the cluster lighting up the correct way, but when you turn to "start" you get nothing?

If that is the case, it could be a mechanical problem at the starter or ignition switch, or it could be a problem in the wiring between the two. A common issue that causes this is neutral safety switch or the ignition switch lever being out of alignment. You can test the starter solenoid by making sure the truck is in park and emergency brake set with the ignition switch "off", take a wire and short from the big power lug to the small lug with a single wire on it. That should cause the starter to engage(but not start the engine because the ignition is "off"). If the starter engages, then you have an issue in the starter signal itself, which would point to a switch or wiring issue. If the starter doesn't engage, then you have a bad solenoid.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Also, before rusty gets all upset.... we need some pics of your ride as payment for our services :cheers:

jkjohnson

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
So... when you turn the key to "ON" you get everything on the cluster lighting up the correct way, but when you turn to "start" you get nothing?

If that is the case, it could be a mechanical problem at the starter or ignition switch, or it could be a problem in the wiring between the two. A common issue that causes this is neutral safety switch or the ignition switch lever being out of alignment. You can test the starter solenoid by making sure the truck is in park and emergency brake set with the ignition switch "off", take a wire and short from the big power lug to the small lug with a single wire on it. That should cause the starter to engage(but not start the engine because the ignition is "off"). If the starter engages, then you have an issue in the starter signal itself, which would point to a switch or wiring issue. If the starter doesn't engage, then you have a bad solenoid.
I get nothing inside at all, no ding, no dash lights, nothing but if i pull the headlight knob they come on

jkjohnson

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
Heres Ol' Blue

Attachments

• truck 1.jpg
    truck 1.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 52
  • truck 2.jpg
    truck 2.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 46

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I get nothing inside at all, no ding, no dash lights, nothing but if i pull the headlight knob they come on
Ahhh, OK. So with that being the case, I would start with a multimeter and see if you have power at the terminal block on the firewall above the engine. You likely have an issue with one or both of the fusible links coming off the starter. There should be two smaller wires on the same large main lug on the starter that the main battery cable goes to. One of those is battery power to the fuse block and the other is ignition power. One of those will splice shortly after it comes off the starter into two other wires. You should be able to tell visually if the fusible links are burnt up or disconnected.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

Captcorvette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Capt
Truck Year
Truck Model
CK30
Engine Size
Welcome and howdy from Dubai. All sounded as great advice. But FIRST I would make sure the battery terminals are nice and tight. Next would make sure they are clean. Then if all that is as it should be-----? Go to the first response with advice then keep going. :birgits_tiredcoffeeCheers.

Corvette Ed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eli
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard from East Tennessee. Good luck!

Babs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet CUCV
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

1973c10

Full Access Member