Ignition on 12V and on crank 12V

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlay Macpherson

Reaction score
First Name
Finlay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi all, im struggling to find an on crank 12V ign on 12 V supply on my 79, ive tried the in cab loom that comes from steering column but nothing seems to supply 12V while on crank, ive tried the 2 red, 2 orange, pink and brown with no luck

can anyone point me in right direction, its needed for my holley Term X

manythanks

finlay

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Pink should have power in crank and run. If not you most likely have a ignition switch problem.

Red is power from the battery, and will have power all the time, brown in run and accessory, purple in crank, orange supplies power to fuses that are powered at all time also.

Finlay Macpherson

Reaction score
First Name
Finlay
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Pink should have power in crank and run. If not you most likely have a ignition switch problem.

Red is power from the battery, and will have power all the time, brown in run and accessory, purple in crank, orange supplies power to fuses that are powered at all time also.
Perfect, cheers

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

would that be best for an electric choke?. pink that is

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
most electric chokes ran off alternator output.
That doesnt seem... logical to me. I heard that cycling the power to an electric choke when putting an edelbrock for example can confuse it or something. Like, it powers on and off with the key. On alternator it would change everytime the belt moves,so key cranked. But it wouldnt adjust when truck is off?

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
run off alternator to keep battery from discharging or choke spring getting weak if key left on. thermal spring engages choke, 12v heats spring, relaxes spring, slowly opens choke.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
run off alternator to keep battery from discharging or choke spring getting weak if key left on. thermal spring engages choke, 12v heats spring, relaxes spring, slowly opens choke.
So the choke does NOT need power at cold startup? Or...im not sure. I guess im intrigued, you have my attention. Im ready to learn

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Ive been using switched ignititon off the wipers. So maybe im making my truck harder to start because the choke opens up when im turned off? But I guess i ask because its a lot easier to tap off the alternator than that switch, yes? I believe that switch resides near the pan? And what does that switch function? My engine originally ran a thermostatic choke, only off intake manifold. no electrical.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I would not use the pink ignition wire to power the choke, unless it was 10 gauge. Even then, I'd do it only if there wasn't a dedicated choke circuit or another circuit that could handle as much as 25 amps, which is what an HEI can draw on start-up!

I don't understand how or why an alternator wire would be used to power the choke. I assume this is the exciter wire? What is that, 16 gauge?

As mentioned above, the factory ran the choke wire through an oil pressure switch. That way the choke won't open while you're trying to start the engine -- for example, having to crank it a long time on a very cold day or if the truck hasn't been started for weeks.

Yes, 12v on the choke heats a coiled bi-metal strip that opens the butterfly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tazdar