Ignition module problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
On my fourth ignition module in the last three months I'm not sure why they keep failing ? Distributer rebuilt with all new parts would it help to upgrade to a better one? I noticed my auto parts store has an accel for 50$ my current module is starting to fail it is starting to miss upon startup ..and recently put another coil in it..

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Mine kep failing until i replaced my sun pro tach. Other causes. The carbon brush under the coil. Grounded plug wires and other related grounds inside and out the distributor.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Do you still have the Delco-Remy distributor, or is it another kind? Also, what brand module? The Duralast and MasterPro ones have dismal reputations. I just went through the same thing. Three modules within a couple weeks. First one appeared to be the factory unit so it would have held up 31 years. Second one lasted three seconds. Third one has lasted several weeks up to this point. I wanted to go with Delco, though, because their module is still made in this country. If you haven't ordered a new one yet, I'd try the Delco (comes with a one year warranty) and go through the aforementioned list of possible causes.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do you still have the Delco-Remy distributor, or is it another kind? Also, what brand module? The Duralast and MasterPro ones have dismal reputations. I just went through the same thing. Three modules within a couple weeks. First one appeared to be the factory unit so it would have held up 31 years. Second one lasted three seconds. Third one has lasted several weeks up to this point. I wanted to go with Delco, though, because their module is still made in this country. If you haven't ordered a new one yet, I'd try the Delco (comes with a one year warranty) and go through the aforementioned list of possible causes.

I believe the module and coil are masterpro my plug wires are all separated nice my sunpro tach is all wired up but not grounded yet.. Actually don't think it's plugged into my distributor right now..would wires laying on valve covers cause this? So go with a delco ?? Anyone try accel??

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Same on the MasterPro HEI Coil. I've had good results with the BWD coil from O'Reilly's. I used that one because it was made like the Delco, and it was easier to get. BWD, in my experience, is a fairly reliable product line. I don't think anything laying on the valve covers is problematic.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yes spark plug wires touching any metal will do this. Just a matter of when. Also plugs gapped too wide is now on that list. Take it from my personal experience. Ditch the sun pro on craigslist and get any other brand. I cover my plug wires in wire loom for this reason. I learned the hard way. Just because you don't see any black marks on the wires yet doesn't mean they aren't shorting to the metal they are touching. Wires tend to( radiate) the electricity inside of them.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Sorry. I thought you were talking about random wires and not spark plug wires. Blonde moment as they say. Disregard.

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok good info just ordered ac delco module .. Maybe buy some looms that keep it off the valve cover?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Yep and get rid of the sun pro. How are your grounds. They are like money you can never have enough. Another question. Have you noticed any voltage spikes?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hmmm, I got a Sun-Pro tach in my beater, had it for two years now no issues at all..:shrug:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hmmm, I got a Sun-Pro tach in my beater, had it for two years now no issues at all..:shrug:
Wait for it........

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Back to the thread...

Ypsik10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm pretty well grounded all new and clean think I have them all.... Sunpro hasn't been hooked up.. How come they specifically have problems? Thanks for all the good info!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I will speculate that it has something to do with...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 163

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aidenB15