Ignition linkage in column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
This morning my truck wouldn't start. In the past weeks it would take me a few times to get the starter to actually engage, and sometimes, like this morning, nothing would happen even with the key turned all the way over. I have power throughout the truck, however the key wouldn't engage the starter.

I had thought it was the keyed switch on the column, but that wasn't it. Looking inside I had noticed that there was a lot of play on the Switch Rod and Rack Assembly with the little gear that in there. Not sure if that's the issue or not however.

Adjusting the sliding switch that's on the column itself does nothing as I can still turn the key all the way and nothing will happen regardless of where the sliding switch is situated.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what this could be? Would it be worth just getting a new column rather than dissecting the column itself and possibly still not finding the problem?

As some of you know from all of the posts that I've put up, I've been putting a ton of work into this truck and it seems that it's never ending. I'm almost to the point of cutting my losses and selling it as I've already gone way over my original budget on this truck and the $hit keeps piling up. Frustrating to say the least. This is my daily and I need to get it reliable. I had to take my Caddy today which I don't like doing.

Thanks for the help on this.

Brandon

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
If the switch doesn't move at all when you turn the key it could either be the linkage rod that runs down the column or the rack gear. My rod broke once and I made a new one out if some 1/8" inconel rod. Not sure if you can buy one new or not.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
If the switch doesn't move at all when you turn the key it could either be the linkage rod that runs down the column or the rack gear. My rod broke once and I made a new one out if some 1/8" inconel rod. Not sure if you can buy one new or not.

Yeah the switch moves through the whole range of motion, but doesn't engage the starter whatsoever. I used to have to "play" with it to get it catch. I can move the column ignition that down further on the column, up and down and it will move the keyed switch so I don't think it's the rod itself.

Will another column from a different truck just bolt right in or do they have different sizes?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I wonder if it's possible to have the rack gear and the drive gear on the wrong tooth if you follow me with this thought. Or perhaps the switch is just bad. If you place the switch in the accessory position and slide it all the way up in the slots will that help. I cant remember if the rod pushes to the crank position or if it pulls the switch to crank.

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
i got tired of messing with my column and rewired a switch in the dash, like the 67-72 chevy trucks had. i also bypassed my neutral safety switch. i like simple.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I wonder if it's possible to have the rack gear and the drive gear on the wrong tooth if you follow me with this thought. Or perhaps the switch is just bad. If you place the switch in the accessory position and slide it all the way up in the slots will that help. I cant remember if the rod pushes to the crank position or if it pulls the switch to crank.

depends on if it has a tilt column if i remember correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Green K10