Ignition coil arcing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HolyDiver

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey all, im currently new to this forum/group. Im hoping i can get some real help from somebody.

I have an 83 k10 305, and about a year and a half ago my truck started acting up, misfireing, chugging. All the symptoms of a failing ignition coil. Sure enough it was frying the protective covering to the positive cable coming from the coil itself. Replaced it and it ran like new. About 6 months ago it started acting the same way. Fried another coil. Now the truck wont start with a new coil installed. Im wondering if i may have fried something with the coil arcing? It cranks but doesnt sound like it wants to fire up. I know its getting fuel to the engine but after the coil issue im assuming its now become a spark issue?

HolyDiver

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Heres a picture of what it keeps doing. You can see where its arcing.
Oh and the coil does have the grounding strap installed on it as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I'm not seeing this ground wire in your picture. It sits under the coil frame work and should run in between the two wires you pictured. See second photo.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Ground is needed but so is good insulation. I'd replace that puppy for sure.

HolyDiver

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes, i recently installed this but im still having problems getting it to start. It cranks but wont turn over

theBIGnaud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Vortec 350
Crank but won't fire?

HolyDiver

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes, ever since the coil failed and i replaced it with the grounding strap the truck will crank but it wont fire. It was running perfect before this coil started acting up. Now it wont even fire.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
What brand of coil did you get? I'd steer clear of MasterPro and Duralast for sure. They're all made overseas, even AC Delco, but the BWD brand coil from Advance/O'Reilly works well. If you're not getting spark after replacing the coil, I'd take the ignition control module out and have it tested at the parts store.

HolyDiver

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It is an ac delco coil. Ill work with it for right now. But ill have to check out the ICM. Havent thought about doing that yet. Can a faulty ICM continue to cause arcing on the coil?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Are you getting spark at the plug? Maybe the ignition module is bad?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm not sure to tell you the truth. The typical symptoms for an ICM are a complete no start condition or a no start condition when it gets hot, and it'll start whenever it cools off. I would blame the arcing on an insulation failure, as mentioned above. If you can exchange the coil under warranty and proceed from there, I would. I'd also check for spark at the plugs before proceeding much further like Craig said.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
WHY COILS FAIL:

Because worn spark plugs and open-circuit spark plug wires force ignition coils to operate at maximum output, neglected ignition system maintenance is the most common cause of modern ignition coil failure.

As the spark plug air gap widens due to normal erosion, increased voltage is required to create a spark in the combustion chamber. This increased voltage, in turn, demands more current flow through the coil’s primary circuit.

Also, this increased primary current flow can overload the ICM’s primary transistor. The increased secondary current created by the ignition coil also can increase to the point that it perforates the secondary circuit in the coil itself

HolyDiver

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If i could get a picture of it right now i would. I replaced the cap along with the coil. Installed the grounding strap. Ill have to check out the icm when the rain stops here(no garage). Ill check tomorrow for spark at the plug. Say im not getting spark at the plug, what would be my next move? The ICM?

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If i could get a picture of it right now i would. I replaced the cap along with the coil. Installed the grounding strap. Ill have to check out the icm when the rain stops here(no garage). Ill check tomorrow for spark at the plug. Say im not getting spark at the plug, what would be my next move? The ICM?
Yes, if no spare I would replace the control module.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub