idle around a corner kills motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
As you make these turns you are obviously stroking the steering gear and power steering system. But how about the brakes?

Unless you are making the turns at an extremely slow rate of speed, it would be expected that you are also applying the brakes.

Since your truck is a K30/4WD, would it be safe to say that the brakes are JB8 (hydro-boost).

I am sure you're aware that a hydro-boost braking system is powered by the P/S pump. I also notice that in your OP you have a gut feeling that the P/S system is the root cause of this issue.

So, if you feel that the engine is stalling due to a sudden change in load, and you have JB8 brakes - you might want to look in that direction.

Applying the (hydro) brakes hard - even without turning the steering wheel - will often put a big enough load on the P/S pump that it screams. That load is ultimately transferred to the engine via the drive belt.

Just something to consider.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
A year and ahalf ago I replaced the hydro boost master cylinder high pressure lines ps pump. The ps pump I have had to replace again since then. I put a cooler on it to try to make it last longer. Now the cooler is off a f150 ...trans cooler the inlet-outlets are prety small I had yo use adapters to get the line size up. I wandered if its to restrictive cant flow enough fluid back and fourth. Ive questioned this before was told it may just slow it down but should be fine.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Now im kinda paying att to it. I can floor it around a corner no problem itll go with no stumble or hesitation but it does have a wierd split second of nothing like its off while driving if I floor it then back off then floor it again idk theres always wierd **** that happens when im driving It. I notice it sometimes, it probly happens more I just dont hear or feel it. What can you do its almost as old as I am....

buddy_1

Reaction score
First Name
Buddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
350 ci
You should try by-passing the cooler to see if the concern improves. If the tubing is smaller than the return hoses it will cause higher pressure in the system (i.e. more drag on the engine). Another thing to consider is if the base idle is correct. If its idled too low, it will be easier to stall with the load from turning and braking at the same time. Buddy

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Try switching to full synthetic power steering fluid. Less load on the engine for the same line pressure. Huge difference in steering effort at low rpms.

Also, set the float levels on the Edelbrock. They are notorious for being out of adjustment right out of the box, and a low float level will exacerbate lean conditions on corners and under accel/decel. I have the same carb, properly adjusted, and have no problems.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Idles at 900 1000 rpm.. ill try bypassing it and see I guess... it hassent happend in awhile it idles down but hasent killed it recently

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody