I never knew how hot P/S fluid gets. New conversion. Pic's inside.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I took off my Holley mid mount and LS3 intake. I am replacing with a billet front drive and TBSS intake (more torqe)
I put a new P/S pump and and good size cooler because I constantly spin this baby to 6800 RPM. I had it full of fluid
and in the cooler also. I let this motor run for about a minute and a half and the cooler was hot already. No wonder the pump was whining
on the holley mid mount. Im surprised it still works for having such short hoses. I never knew how hot these pumps run. CRAZY!!
Video coming soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
More

Last edited:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
More

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
More

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I finally got to use my Holley W/P

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Yeah they get warm. I need to put a cooler on mine since I spin it up pretty good too
DO NOT spend big bucks on a BIG NAME cooler. I have a video coming out by end of the week on the $40 stacked
cooler I used. Also. Watch this!! FF to 2min mark

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I never knew how hot these pumps run.

When you think about how these systems operate it's amazing they don't all cook themselves. That pump is just jamming all the volume it can make against a regulator which calls for full system pressure all the time and dumps the rest right back into the reservoir.

Most high pressure systems, like diesel common rail, regulate the volume going in to the high pressure pump so it only generates fhe pressure and volume it needs to do it's job instead of working hard to throw energy away.

There's a reason they're moving toward electric steering in cars. I'm sure it's coming to larger vehicles too.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
When you think about how these systems operate it's amazing they don't all cook themselves. That pump is just jamming all the volume it can make against a regulator which calls for full system pressure all the time and dumps the rest right back into the reservoir.

Most high pressure systems, like diesel common rail, regulate the volume going in to the high pressure pump so it only generates fhe pressure and volume it needs to do it's job instead of working hard to throw energy away.

There's a reason they're moving toward electric steering in cars. I'm sure it's coming to larger vehicles too.
power steering CAN be setup to be less wasteful, but its usually at the cost of complexity that then becomes outweighed by electrics simplicity
I took off my Holley mid mount and LS3 intake. I am replacing with a billet front drive and TBSS intake (more torqe)
I put a new P/S pump and and good size cooler because I constantly spin this baby to 6800 RPM. I had it full of fluid
and in the cooler also. I let this motor run for about a minute and a half and the cooler was hot already. No wonder the pump was whining
on the holley mid mount. Im surprised it still works for having such short hoses. I never knew how hot these pumps run. CRAZY!!
Video coming soon.

the type 2 pump is actually able ot handle more RPMs than the P pump. But if the diameter of the pulley is different, you would need to calculate the rpm of each given their respective belt drives (their pulley + the crank pulley) to know which is spinning faster. Heat destroys PS systems, and your subpar fluid is actually running it hotter as it is.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
To close this thread with a happy ending, Here is a video I already posted on GMSB. Ill post it
here also since the job is complete.

I almost crashed the truck, Did a high speed run, upshifted and truck went side ways. You can see
it in the video when truck started rocking left and right, SCARED the SH%T out of me.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
To close this thread with a happy ending, Here is a video I already posted on GMSB. Ill post it
here also since the job is complete.

I almost crashed the truck, Did a high speed run, upshifted and truck went side ways. You can see
it in the video when truck started rocking left and right, SCARED the SH%T out of me.

Well, that was impressive. That first Charger would have concerned me because the state police around here drive a lot of those.

And I thought it was only around here that people tried to merge with a 50 MPH speed differential. Maybe they were from New York.

Good video.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Well, that was impressive. That first Charger would have concerned me because the state police around here drive a lot of those.

And I thought it was only around here that people tried to merge with a 50 MPH speed differential. Maybe they were from New York.

Good video.
When I seen the wicker bill, I knew it was game on!! :driver:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aultinator