hrdroboost power steering troubles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I've replaced the power steering pump, steering box, couple of the lines ect and still have to rev up the engine to get power steering to work at a idle. hydroboost also wont work untill it's reved up. I have exchanged pump 3 times now and even tried a used one off a wrecked truck in back lot. any more ideas as to where to look? I have even replaced the main high pressure line, and changed the steering box. Had one while back that lost all power steering and come to find out the pully was spinning on the pump shaft when put under load, but this one is tight

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
If you have an extra pump you can try modifying it. http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/2013/powersteeringmods/

I noticed in the article that 3500 series hb pumps have a different flow piston than light duty trucks. Is it possible the parts store was selling you the one-size-fits-all pump and not the one for your rig?

OR

PSC sells a high flow pump (but it's expensive). Looks like they also have an overdrive pulley for serpentine setups.

circuitguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BIG-C
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton Stepside
Engine Size
350 / 5.7
You need a high flow PS pump, make sure this is what you have installed. Also check for air or foam in the system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ta1nt3d